Monday, July 21, 2008

You've Got To Be Kidding

Some time ago I posted this picture. I had high hopes that these four little bitty tomato plants would yield some big beefy tomatoes. My taste buds were living in expectation, and I could almost see beautiful juicy red tomatoes lying on my plate.

I planted and watered and they began to grow. Then I noticed that flowers were blooming and even some tomatoes were forming.


I then realized that in my limited tomato growing experience, I don't recall having ten or twelve tomatoes to a stem.

Well... this is what I got. You've got to be kidding! These are NOT my big beefy tomatoes. These are barely a good grape size. These teeny tiny things are growing on all of my tomato plants.

You've got to understand. I had plans... big plans.
I hoped to have enough to use a dehydrator, or at least be able to put some in the freezer for soup next fall. I saw visions of fried green tomatoes.

Well, it is too late now, and I guess I'll just have to chalk this experience up to a lesson learned. Next year, if I decide to do this again, I'll pick even more carefully through the tomato plants and double check all the picks to see that I really get those nice big fat juicy tomatoes. In the meantime, I'm going to try not to whine. I have been eating a few with my meals, so I can't say that I don't have any tomatoes. Hopefully, by the end of the growing season, I'll feel a little more kindly toward these little tomato want-to-bes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummm...I don't care that they are teeny-tiny, your home-grown tomatoes still look delicious!