Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4th

July 4th is one of those days that I usually stay home. I'm not anti-social or anything like that, but I don't usually have anything to do on July 4th.

This year I headed to the country with friends. We pulled over so I could take this picture. Horses were everywhere, but we were in wild mustang land. I think it is beautiful.

When I see something like this, I'm reminded that I'm a small town girl and like it that way. I don't want to live in the world of concrete. I like spaces and being able to look across the land with nothing there except green grass and ponds. It is life unobstructed.

We were heading into the country to be with our church friends for July 4th dinner and fireworks. An announcement was made last Sunday that everyone was invited to head on out and join this family for a Fourth of July celebration. They always have a big family gathering, but this year they decided to expand and invite the entire church congregation. I perked up a bit as decided it might be nice to think outside the box and leave the house on July 4th. (Now, isn't that sad!) Many of us went, and I think everyone had a wonderful time. The food was wonderful. Our hostess had cooked many scrumptious dishes...(More on that later.) It was a fantastic feast.

I kept getting the word that everyone should stay for the fireworks as it would be grand. I saw them setting up fireworks in a large concrete area. I wanted so badly to get a picture, but I just didn't think grabbing my camera and snapping everything in sight was appropriate. I can't even begin to describe the vast amount of fireworks that was laid out and ready to use. It was huge. It was jaw dropping. It was a boys' heaven of toys.

At last the darkness came and signaled the start of our show. I've seen lots of fireworks , but I will say that I've never seen such a display. It was simply amazing. This was even bigger than community displays I've seen before. The fireworks lit up the sky, and not just one at a time either. The air was alive with color and it continued for a long long time.

When the fireworks were over and the oohs and aahs had stopped, I'm not sure I even knew what to say. It was just beyond saying that it had been a 'nice' show. I could see a line of guys coming up through the ground smoke and receiving a round of applause as they filed back into the yard. Of course, there was much clapping going on.

Backing up in my thoughts a bit, I have to confess that I was a tad curious as to the whole aura of this event. You see, our host and hostess were that almost famous Ree and her Marlboro Man. Oh yes, I often read her blog. I also see her at church. I'm friends with his parents. These are just people I know. Yet, somehow her talent for writing has burst onto the blogging stage with outrageous results. I'm about as amazed at that as I was with all the fireworks.

I will admit to checking out her blog during the day before heading out to their house. She had an hour by hour report on getting ready for us to arrive. She said that she would sneak into her bedroom while the party was going on and do a few updates. I caught her doing that. She has posted all the pictures of food she was preparing... recipes, of course. I knew I was in for a wonderful culinary treat... I've gotten fat before just reading her recipes. Seriously... they are full of all the good things in life.

I will also admit to wanting to see her new kitchen and all her remodels that have been posted on her blog in the past. I'd been in the house before when his parents lived there. I will say that her kitchen is a wonder. It is BIG and able to accommodate her grand style of entertaining. It is very inviting as well. The food was, as I said before, scrumptious.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening shared with good friends. It certainly was an improvement over sitting in my comfortable chair in the living room and watching fireworks on TV. I hope our host and hostess had as good a time as all the people who attended. I'm hopeful they will not hide under the bed next year on July 4th. Personally, I'm going to listen carefully for that invitation to return. I'll be there!

( If you are one of the few in America who has not bookmarked Ree's blog... here you go:
Pioneer Woman
Be careful of the food. It's fattening. Be careful of her romance novel. It's addictive too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a behind the scenes look at the festivities - that some many of us lived vicariously.

Anonymous said...

I just hopped over from PW. You have a nice blog going here too . I will be back again later.

Anonymous said...

Cool! How fun to read a behind the scenes story about Ree's party! I like your blog too, I just found it from Ree's today. I have it book marked, and am going to start reading!