Friday, July 4, 2008

Sunflowers

Promises, promises! Something is going to come of this little bud soon. I wonder what it could be. Well, it is going to be something BIG!

I-Needa sent me some flower pictures from her yard. You may wonder what is up with all these flower pictures. Perhaps my reasoning follows the line of it's something you won't see in the winter, so enjoy them now.













I'm not one to sit around and pick sunflower seeds out of their shell to eat. I've done it before, but not for a long long time time. I remember getting them and putting them in my mouth to soften them. That's about all I remember.

I decided to question I-Needa on the subject. She teaches nine and ten year olds, so I figured she would have more recent knowledge of sunflower seed eating.

I-Needa said the technique is as follows:
1. Put sunflower seed in mouth under tongue to soften shell.
2. Move the seed with your tongue to your front teeth and position it on edge with the thin part between the spaces in your teeth. 3. Bite to pop shell. You can take the seed out of your mouth and extract the seed at this point... or, it is much easier to pop it out with your tongue and spit the shell. 4. Then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I-Needa said the above flower has yet to show her the sunflower seed. I figure she should expect some in the future. I remember having a child bring one to school once for 'Show and Tell' and we were amazed at the size of the flower and the abundance of seeds.

I hope you feel somewhat enlightened after this riveting instructional material concerning the sunflower.

No comments: