Monday, July 14, 2008

A Stop Along Route 66

Advertising Food, Fuel, and Fizz, this 66 foot steel soda bottle sits along Route 66 in Arcadia, OK. It announces that you have arrived at Pops. At night you can see the brilliant lights rotate up and down the bottle, looking like it is filled with different flavors of soda.

You can find Arcadia northeast of Oklahoma City, just east of Interstate 35 at Edmond. You might like to have a bite of lunch there... with a soda, of course.

You will also find the keep off the grass sign... the one I posted and told you I'd tell you more later. This is it. This is the more.






Having parked the car and headed up to the station, we see a few cars getting their gas.

I'm thinking this is a pretty modern looking building.








A little closer and you can see glass shelving inside with soda pop bottles from floor to ceiling. Pretty cool...!











Taking a picture against the light was pretty much a challenge inside. I did try and hope you can get the idea of lots of bottles... firmly attached to the shelving. No... you can't take one off. It is permanent.

There were lots of people inside the eating area, but I resisted the urge to be rude and take pictures of total strangers trying to have a nice lunch.




I squished to one side and tried to get another picture that would make you feel that you are getting value for your time spent looking at this crazy blog. (Thank you for coming!)

By the way, Pops opened its doors in August 2007, so it is getting ready to celebrate its first birthday. By the number of people having lunch there, I'd say it will be there for many years to come.










One more shot to help you see the big picture.

Of course, there is cold pop for sale. They were organized along the back wall according to flavor. There were lots of brands that I'd never heard of before. I-Needa seemed to think that they have soda pop from all over the world. There were certainly tons of brands and flavors to chose from. Again, the rudeness factor kept me from taking pictures as people studied the cold pops and made their selections.

I have to admit that I stood for some time looking and drooling. I wanted something, but when faced with such a selection, it was hard to pick.




Finally I spied this little bottle and knew it was the one. I love black cherry and this Route 66 bottle was absolutely perfect as my souvenir. One of these days... I have no idea when... I'll put this in my refrigerator and when it is very very frosty cold, I'll take out my bottle opener and pop the top. Then I'll have a long cold drink of delicious beverage from Pops on Route 66.

No comments: