Thursday, July 3, 2008

Antique Sewing Machine

Years ago, my parents purchased this antique sewing machine in its cabinet. It also had with it an advertisement for the machine. They thought it was so pretty, so loaned it to a local museum. Over the years, it had gotten pushed back and wasn't in plain view any more. Rather than leave it there, she requested its return and now has it once again. I-Needa seems to think it would look good at her place.

Mother has been busy putting lemon oil on the wood and spending time remarking what beautiful detail work is there.








I've been trying to find out something about it and have been searching on the Internet. I did notice that the machine brand is Minnesota. Both Minnesota and Franklin were made by Sears. I've really just started trying to find out more about this and its possible value. It really isn't for sale, but I'm curious.

If you want to see the detail of the writing, click on the picture, and it should enlarge so you can read the paper that was in it when it was purchased.

I'm one of those funny people who often wonder what furniture would say if it could talk. I try to imagine where it has been, what kind of a person or persons used it, etc. I'm going to keep trying to find out more about this beautiful antique machine.

No comments: