Saturday, July 26, 2008

Critter Sitter

Since I-Needa is Gigi's person, I've not had to pay much attention to to the little critter. Don't misunderstand me, I really like this little being with the white hair and one black eye. She is a sweetie.

I-Needa has perhaps spoiled Gigi in some ways that a normal pooch owner wouldn't do. However, I'm not sure Gigi is a normal dog. She has her idiosyncrasies that seem to set her apart from others I've known in the canine world. She has her own method for doing.... everything.


Last night I became the critter sitter when I-Needa exited the building to head for her high school class reunion party. For the next few hours, Gigi would wait expectantly for her person to return, and I would be stared at, ignored, and taken on a few potty walks. I would also become the one who tried to coax Gigi into her evening meal.

I-Needa has explained to me before that if Gigi doesn't eat her dinner, she then is hungry and wants grass. I-Needa seems to think that somewhere in Gigi's head is a little message that she needs to eat grass because she doesn't feel well, when all she needs is her dinner. I-Needa has also complained that Gigi's tummy rumbles loudly and keeps her awake if Gigi doesn't eat.

I remembered this little tidbit of information as Gigi's bowl of food sat untouched. Then I heard the first of the rumbling tummy. It became louder and louder. I understood now that such a sustained noise could keep all of us awake. I did everything I could to coax this little pooch into a bowl of nice fresh kibble. Nope.... having nothing to do with it.

Finally, I could stand it no more. So at 11:27 p.m., I retrieved the bowl, got down on all fours, and began coaxing her once again with three little pieces of food. I put it on the carpet for her to sniff. That didn't help much. Then I put it in the palm of my hand. She sniffed some more and finally finally took a little nibble. I kept adding food in my hand, and she kept eating. I'd try to offer the bowl, but she would shy away from that. I had no choice but to remain on my knees and forearms feeding dinner to the pooch. I wasn't too sure who was getting the better of whom.

I'm glad to say that the food was consumed and the rumbling stopped immediately. Thank goodness! I turned out my bedroom light and decided to try to sleep. Gigi disappeared, and I knew she would be lying by the back door waiting for I-Needa. I did feel a tad sorry for her as she had such a woebegone look about her.

I got out of the bed... again... and brought Gigi back with me. So she sat by the side of my bed awhile and looked at me, and looked at me. Finally I got her to lay down awhile. Of course, being the critter sitter, I had a hard time going to sleep. Really, I didn't go to sleep.

I-Needa at last arrived home and all was well with the pooch. I thought I'd done fairly well with my critter sitter duties. I'd taken Gigi for two piddle walks, hand fed her dinner, and she wasn't really any the worse for wear.

I-Needa told me this morning that many of her classmates had left parents throughout the city with similar sitting jobs. One lucky mom was sitting with two kids, two dogs, and four ferrets. Oh, my!! I'm glad I'm not that mom!

I don't know why, but Gigi had to go outside last night for another piddle run. I heard I-Needa taking her in the wee hours of the morning. This, in spite of my proud feeling earlier that all was going to be well in this department.

If my critter skills were lacking in any way, I'm going to have an opportunity to make up for it. Tonight I'm going to critter sit again as I-Needa is off to another party. I'm going to tell myself how blessed I am not to be the sitter of the kids, dogs, and ferrets.

No comments: