Friday, July 18, 2008

Put On Your Best Face

I had to listen to a bit of whining from Daughter I-Needa. She said she didn't really mind my posting her picture, but she wondered why I always seem to post one with her make-up all scrubbed off.

Now, she liked the picture I posted of her in the new apron. She thought that was just a fun photo, but she complained again about that no make-up look thing, or at least the end of the day look when one just doesn't look as fresh as earlier in the day.

Therefore, I submit to you this photo of I-Needa, taken by a friend last month. Yep, she is scrubbed and has on her make-up. She is even smiling. I hope this redeems my status as Mother of the Year. After all, I do understand her pain.

I HATE having my picture taken.... hate it, hate it. I especially hate it when it is being posed and everyone is standing around grinning and waiting for the picture to be taken. Cheese is NOT what I want to say. I always look like I should be put out of my misery. It is never good. I really think I might break the camera. Candid shots often aren't much better, and the older I get, the less I like having my picture taken. It just doesn't get any kinder. My idea of self image and the photo don't match... not one little bit. The photos usually end up with more wrinkles than I really have. Really.

Unfortunately, our lives are filled with the need for photos. Let's see..... we have driver's license photos, work badge photos, passport photos. We can always count on these to be lovely. You hop in the chair and 'click'... your crazed image is now ready for official use and will be laminated shortly to prevent any damage. Right. Let's get real here... NO photo taken for official reasons will ever give us that freshly made up best face we can get. Nope... it is a hopeless cause.

In spite of all that, I do enjoy having photos. After all, I've been working for days to put all my Michigan trip photos into my album. I just finished page 34. I have a number of candid shots of people in my album. They look like they normally do, and they give the album warmth and character. I imagine someone could complain and tell me that it was a terrible picture of them. If that happens, I'm going to try to resist the urge to say 'Why, I think it is a good picture. It looks just like you!'

1 comment:

Travis said...

Very nice photo! All done up to sit in a tree.