Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy, Happy New Year!

Yes, Happy, Happy New Year! 2008

I hope everyone enjoyed bringing in the new year, whether with friends or family, or settling back in a good comfortable chair in front of a fire, or just being able to head off to bed early and wake up to a fresh new year.

I would have opted for the fire, chair, and perhaps a little cup of hot chocolate or cider, but ended up with friends. Six of us saw the old year out together with good homemade chili with all the trimmings and an evening of domino and dice games. I rather like Chicken Foot. As the old year came to a close, we sat around a large table laughing and having a great time. The fact that these old gals were up long past bedtime was showing. We began to droop long before the magic hour. At one point I laughed and suggested that if we continue this tradition we might one day be found all sitting around the table with our heads tilted forward fast asleep. I rather wish Norman Rockwell was around to paint a scene like that. I think he would have liked that as a piece of humor suited to capturing.


I'm thinking about that nice clean slate that comes with new beginnings. It seems to be a part of our human nature that we forgive ourselves for the things we should have done and didn't quite accomplish. We then have the opportunity to do better, improve ourselves, succeed where we failed. It is a fresh start.

I remember reading once about customs around the world in beginning a new year. Without doing a bit of research, I can't remember exactly which country held this practice, but I remember the custom of throwing all the dishes out the windows. I really have a hard time seeing my neighbors pitching dishes into the yards. I know there would be lots of people running from yard to yard checking it out to see if they could find some wonderful new dishes. It is rather like 'the grass is always greener' theory.

I do have a list of things to try to alter in the new year. Some things should receive less attention, and others more. Some have been on my 'to do' list for years, but the new slate means I can try again.

Since retiring from years of teaching in the elementary school setting, I find that I must continue with some form of art. I've latched onto making cards as a craft and hope not only to make them, but to actually get them mailed. I've laughed for years that I didn't send letters as couldn't find the Post Office. E-Mail has changed that for the better as far as I am concerned. Keeping in touch with friends and family is only a click away. However, if I'm going to craft, I really need to send.

I'm also going to try out new things, such as this new blog site. I'm afraid Yahoo is getting out of the blog business soon, and people are wondering what to do. They promise a transition from the current sites to a new one, but there may be issues. What is life without issues? I wouldn't mind trying a year without issues.

At any rate, I hope you continue to visit me here, and I pray a blessing on all for fresh starts and opportunities.

(I have to tell you that I've spent awhile trying to get this at the top of the page. You may see it elsewhere too, but I have perseverance on my side.) =)

No comments: