Sunday, January 6, 2008

Up Close And Personal



I've been looking at vacation pictures. That's the nice thing about having taken the time to put them into albums. I can enjoy the vacation over and over again. I couldn't resist sharing these photos. No zoom lens used here. Really.

Our Small Town traveling group was happily touring the South Dakota Badlands and t
he Pacific Northwest. We made this trip in July of 2006 and hoped to escape some of the summer heat. We hung to the hope that latitudes further north should be cooler. It didn't happen, at least not that summer. It was HOT.

These fine pictures were taken at the Kreycik Riverview Elk and Buffalo Ranch in Nebraska. We were scheduled to take a covered wagon tour of the working ranch. We did it, in spite of temperatures that climbed into the triple digits. I thought we might die out there of heat exhaustion, but that didn't happen. A breeze was our saving grace, and we lived. I imagine the owner would have preferred to NOT go, but he mounted up on the tractor (no animals were used to pull us) and off we went. I will admit that I really wasn't sure I'd survive that heat. I don't do well with heat. I felt rather like a martyr as I climbed off the nice comfortable air conditioned tour bus and into a wooden covered wagon pulled by a tractor. However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity, so sacrificed comfort. We all were a tad skeptical, but we lived. It was a good tour, and a good experience.


For those hunters among you, I include a photo of the elk with antlers (You can tell I'm not a hunter) .. Here is a picture of the owner's child on an elk.



If tootling off to take a look at this working ranch, or ordering meat, which can be bought here is of interest, check out the place using the following link. Kreycik Elk and Buffalo Ranch

No comments: