Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Icy Wind

I expected to pay for the warm beautiful day we had earlier. It is a given. Sure enough, the wind shifted to the north, and icy shards were fairly driven into the body.

I headed for our local mercantile about the time the wind shifted. It was quite cool and a bit breezy as I headed into the store. Coming out was another matter. I realized my BIG mistakes. I should have planned better, should have gone to the store earlier, should have stayed at home.

Here I was facing gale force icy winds and needing to scoot across the parking lot and load some rather light weight items into the back of my vehicle. I knew it was going to be interesting.

I girded myself for the trek across the lot. I fastened my coat, put on my gloves, heisted my hood into place, and decided to look for the drawstrings. I knew there were drawstrings on that hood.... somewhere. I can’t remember using them lately, but was sure they were still there. Locating them and giving them a good firm pull, I all but hid my face from the cold.

This little store has NO automatic door to exit from the building. Remember, this is Small Town America. Therefore, it takes a bit of creative shifting to get the cart aligned, putting your back to the door to push it open while pulling the cart through the opening. Luck is having someone else coming in who will hold the door open.

This was a windy day... remember... and there was no luck with someone coming in. Therefore, I did the little maneuver and managed to get my cart out the door and into the cold cruel world. I’d been a bit concerned that some of the lighter sacks might actually blow out of the cart on the way to the car. I will admit to a fancy dance or two and trying to put a new trash can across the top of the other items. Then I had to hold down the can and scoot along. Luck WAS with me, and I made it to the car complete with all the items I’d purchased.

Now to open the trunk and transfer those sacks into the car. It wasn’t a fight I was about to lose. I fiddled around a bit to get the remote aimed while I held down the trash can. Please, don’t let me hit the ‘panic’ button. Then I hurried... really hurried... and jammed the sacks as far back into the trunk as I could as quickly as I could. I was loving that hood firmly holding my face in place. It was a small amount of comfort, but it was comfort.

I now had a goal in mind: Get home... get hot chocolate. I had focus, incentive, and resolve. Only one more battle with my items to get them inside, then I’d reward myself with a little something hot and comforting in my tummy. It had to be chocolate. Rewards should be chocolate. I’d barely gotten everything inside when I grabbed the tea kettle and got going on my reward. Ah.... sweet bliss. Poor Baby had had a hard day.

No comments: