Monday, January 14, 2008

Corn Salad Recipe

I have to laugh at myself about putting recipes on my blog. I don't know why I do it, except I really like to share a good thing when I find it. As far as cooking goes, I have my own set of qualifications: no excess chopping/ dicing/ slicing. I must know what the ingredients are without looking them up in a dictionary, and be able to put everything together in under fifteen minutes. It must also taste good.

I was at I-Needa's house this fall, and we had a little get-together with the neighbors. Deloris brought over a yummy corn salad. I loved it and asked for the recipe, which she gladly shared. I prepared it for one of those covered dish dinners, and I thought it was wonderful. It meets all my qualifications too. I plan on putting this high on my list of things to prepare when traveling with a dish. I asked I-Needa to ask Deloris if she minded me sharing it. Deloris said that she had gotten it from a friend, who had gotten it from a friend, etc. So here it is!

Corn Salad

2 15 oz cans whole kernel corn (drained)
2 Cups grated cheese (I made mine with mild cheddar, but the recipe didn't specify)
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 Cup red onion (chopped)

1 10.5 oz crushed chili corn chips (save these and put into the salad at the very last minute before serving.

Mix the first five ingredients together in a bowl and chill it. Then crush and stir in the corn chips before serving.

I tasted it and liked the flavor even without the chips. Once the chips are added, you almost have to eat it as they will get soggy. I decided to make it for myself and just take out the portion I want and add a few chips. Really, I even like it as well without chips.

No comments: