Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mail Ponderings


I’ve been thinking about junk mail: snail and e-mail. I know I complained about shredding not long ago. I’m still working on that little (big) project. I’ve made a dent, but still have a mountain to go before the shredding process is complete.

The postman seems to bring me more to shred on a daily basis, so I doubt I’ll ever really catch up. I can count on keeping the shredder humming and perhaps should buy stock in some company who manufactures them.

Having signed up with good old AT&T and having Yahoo to worry about some of my Internet spam, I can feel a bit relieved about junk getting to my e-mail. However, I do check that box with all the spam, or whatever you want to call it... nuisance mail, etc. Once in a great while important mail is not sent to me correctly. So I check. I’m always amazed at the contents of that box.

I will admit that I NEVER check those links to see what is there. They give me almost the same feeling that I got as a child walking past the pool hall. Run, Baby, Run! I’m wondering why so many people out there are concerned that I look at watches...or purses. I’m amazed at how many junk e-mails want to fix a part of my body that isn’t even anatomically correct for me. There are pills and gizmos to fix it, and I don’t have it.

There are e-mails all over the place to help me be safe in the parking lot, telling me what to watch out for and how disable anyone who looks at me cross-eyed. However, I’m thinking this Internet highway could be just as dangerous as the parking lot. If it looks bad, don’t go play there. I don’t.... starting with those iffy looking e-mails.

I do have one form of e-mail that I receive that often baffles me. I admit that I just don’t understand the content or how it works. It usually starts with some really nice thoughts, perhaps even a prayer or something inspirational. Then at the bottom.... Ah, you know what is coming, don’t you?.... is the catch line: Forward to so many friends in so many minutes and something wonderful will happen to you at a certain time. WHAT?!

So, will someone please explain to me how this works. How can I be guaranteed to meet the love of my life, be blessed with more money, have something wonderfully unexpected happen to me, etc. by clicking forward on my computer? Normally it even gives me a target time of day when this will happen. If I do it, I win. If I don’t do it, I lose. It just makes no sense to me. Did I miss out on something in Computer 101?

I also am a tad saddened by inspirational pieces with the last paragraph telling me that I’m a rotten awful no good person if I don’t chose to show my faith by clicking forward and adding everyone in my address book. Somehow my refusing to do that may affect my eternal rewards. What?! Who writes this stuff?

Well, if you have any answers to my questions on the hows and whys of the mystery of being blessed by hitting forward, please feel free to leave them in my comments under the article. Perhaps I just need a little direction or guidance and things would be perfectly clear. I don't like to be left in the dark. I'm always happy to know that someone has thought of me, but I just don't know how to react appropriately at times. I've discussed this with I-Needa thinking she might have a great suggestion. She said, 'Just delete that part off the mail before you forward it.' Good old practical I-Needa.

No comments: