Saturday, February 13, 2010

What Happened to Sentiment?

It isn't Valentine's Day yet. That's really tomorrow. So? Why is my box of candy opened with missing pieces?

I warned this man that his actions were major blog fodder, but he didn't care. He did it anyway.

I was busy working on my scrapbook last night, putting the final pictures in and labeling them. I noticed that Mr. went out the back door without saying anything, but I figured he would be back in a moment from whatever mission he was on.

Shortly, the back door opened and Mr. came in with one hand behind his back. He said that he just had to do something tonight and it just couldn't wait. Actually, I believe he said that HE just couldn't wait. I believe the whole thing went something like this:

Mr.: (Standing with his hand behind his back) 'I know this isn't the day, but I just have to do this now. I just can't wait' (Laughing)

(Bringing arm around front reveling a box of Russell Stover chocolates... the kind I love) 'Open them now... please.... I just have to have one.... NOW...' (More laughing)

Me: (Looking at this man who has been my husband for two months and considering the possibility of a chocoholic intervention) 'You've got to be kidding me! You are SO romantic! Well, if that doesn't beat all.'

At this point, I believe I offered to let him open them. I guess propriety kicked in somewhere in the back of his brain and he found the good grace to insist that I be the one to open the candy.

I saw the look of desperation in his eyes and knew that he was, like me, a true chocoholic. Yep, I know the feeling. I will say that I'm not sure what he is going to have to do to make this up to me. I've seen the destruction of my Valentine Day candy and all illusions that sentiment is still alive and well.

He is taking me to a really nice Valentine Day dinner this evening. I'll give him points for that. However, I imagine I'll not be able to resist relating this story to others at the dinner. He is in for it. Yes, he is.

No comments: