Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dealing With Pumpkin

Part I

This is Pumpkin. I took this picture quite some time ago, and may even have used it here before. I hauled it out again as this is the topic of my stress today, and you, dear reader, must see this precious critter.

I noticed a couple of days ago that Pumpkin was favoring one of his front paws. It passed through my mind that I might have to gather him up and take him to the vet. I'm not a great fan of cats, but have been feeding this little stray for several years now. I've tried to give him away, but that hasn't seemed to happen. All cat lovers tell me that he is a wonderful sweet cat. They don't, however, load him up and give him a good home inside. I still have him, and he is living out in the wild.

I did take him to the vet a couple of years ago when he had an injury. It seemed like a good time as any to have him 'fixed' and also get a wonderful battery of shots. All this for my stray cat!

As Pumpkin came for his breakfast today, I noticed that he was walking much better. I sighed a little sigh as figured I was not going to have to get him into a carrier and haul him to the vet. Then I noticed that the upper part of one of his front legs has an open wound. Oh, good grief! What now??

I then had to deal with what to do about Pumpkin. I have a hard time thinking of a wounded animal not getting attention. I figured that I was really going to have to deal with getting him into a carrier and getting him to the vet. I came inside to think that over a bit and get up my courage to deal with it. I went back outside to check things out again, then saw something I really didn't like. There, lying under a window in my flower bed, was a dead and rather mangled squirrel. Yuck!!! There wasn't much denying now that Pumpkin had tangled with a squirrel. The squirrel had definitely gotten the worse end of the deal, but now that sense of having to deal with this whole thing was even stronger.

I hate to admit that I'm squeamish, but I am. There is not much about me that is a nurse, and that extends to caring for critters. My plan was simple.... call Right Back. I figured I'd given birth to him... He owed me.

So... I rang him on his cell phone:

RB: 'Hi'

Me: 'Hi.... I'm having a little problem. I just wondered if you are working at the moment.'

RB: 'Yes, I'm working. Why? What do you need?'

Me: 'Well.... I just noticed that Pumpkin has a wound on his leg and there is a dead squirrel in the yard under the window. That poor squirrel is mangled. I know Pumpkin did it.

RB: 'Call the vet.'

Me: 'I know... that's what I need to do. I just thought maybe you could come give me some moral support if you aren't busy.'

RB: 'I'm giving you moral support, Mom. Call the vet.'

Me: 'I know. I'm going to call the vet. I just thought maybe you could come be with me.'

RB: 'You want me to come be with you to call the vet? Listen... just call the vet.'

Me: 'Well... I knew that. I just hope I don't have to bag up that squirrel. I thought maybe you could do that...'

RB: (silence)

Me: 'Okay... you've been a lot of help... I'm going to call the vet. I knew to do that in the first place. Thank you, have a good day.'

The awful part of this is the sheer lack of courage demonstrated by me, myself, and I. I've been known to give advise to others about what to do. I should take my own advice. So.... I called the vet. I was told that I didn't have to bring in the squirrel. Yea!!!

At this point of the writing, I coaxed Pumpkin into a carrier and have delivered him to the vet. I left instructions to do whatever shots he needs and call me when he is ready to be picked up. So, for now, I'm just waiting.... I'll write Part II when I know more.

Part II

I heard from the vet. It seems she is going to have to 'knock him out'. I'd figured that out on my own. After all, who would want to try to do something to a big wound on a cat that was awake and could see what you were doing. I'm at least that bright.

The good news.... she is going to keep him this weekend. Yea!!! She wasn't sure that she will be able to stitch him up.... wound too big... not enough skin there... must be cleaned though. Sorry, I'm not going to get too graphic. You can thank me that I didn't try to take a picture of it to post. I'm not into that kind of thing, although I know it is on CSI. I avert my eyes.

So... she will clean him up, give him antibiotics, and whatever else he needs. I imagine he will have shots. I'll probably go get him on Monday. I'd best take my checkbook with me. Tah Dah.

Oh... that dead squirrel that is lying in the back yard under my window. I believe I'll point that out to Mr. when he gets home. Perhaps he will offer to dispose of or bury the critter. With my luck, he will probably tell me that he will watch me and offer moral support while I dig.

If you are curious about other stories about Pumpkin, be sure and check the 'Pumpkin' link on the website.

No comments: