Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Driving Instructions Part 2

The melting has been going on now for awhile, and I may be able to get my own vehicle out and drive around today. It will be nice to be free again to go do a few errands at will.

I will admit first that this picture was taken by I-Needa on a previous snowy day this winter. It looks just like this again. I didn't have my camera! What was I thinking??! So, I will borrow her picture and promise it is looking the same here now.

I've confessed earlier my failings in the bravery department when it comes to negotiating my steep alley when it is slick. Mr. has no cares about getting out on ice or snow and doing what he would do anyway. I guess you would have to develop that kind of thinking if you have an occupation that demands it. Ranchers have to be out and doing. Cattle want feed and water. Therefore, Mr. has many years of bravery built up, and he certainly didn't see my alley as something he couldn't conquer.

I let him put his manly protective instincts and his bravery together on Sunday and take me to church. Actually, I'm not sure about those protective instincts. As I was writing that, I was thinking that his idea of protecting me is to train me to do things myself. I have a little different slant to my thinking. That might best be discussed in a later blog.

We were out and about on Sunday, and Mr. needed to go to the country to feed the dog and cats. They like food too. He asked if I wanted to go, and I thought it would be a nice change of scenery. So.. off we went. I always love crossing the creek that is pictured here. I have this thing about slowing down on the little bridge and looking up and down the stream. I really want to look at it and take pictures. It just seems to be a peaceful place.

The dog and cats being fed, Mr. decided that it would be a good time for that four wheel drive driving lesson. He asked if I wanted to drive back into town. At least he gave me a choice, which is a good thing. Let me be perfectly clear here.... I've driven on snow and ice many many times in my life. I'm not a novice at that. I just haven't experienced driving it with four wheel drive. I wanted to know about the feel of traction, etc. I wanted to know how it would behave on my alley, which is steep and even has a few rolls in it in places. That is what I wanted to know.

Mr. shifted into his instructional mode. Oh, gussie! I really don't like that mode as it is all business (a man thing) and he assumes I know nothing. I figured I was going to have to put up with it awhile if I was going to experience the feel of the vehicle with four wheel drive.

The country roads were still packed with snow. I will tell you now that I did like the traction of the vehicle and I'm sold on four wheel drive where it is needed. I tried to ignore the lecture on how to stop a vehicle or how to approach a curve in snow. It wasn't that I was doing it wrong, but Mr. feels he must instruct from A-Z if he is in instructional mode. Anyway... I did survive the instruction. I did enjoy driving the vehicle, and I loved the way it came right up my alley without one slip. I'm thinking I will enjoy this freedom of being able to negotiate the alley when it is slick. Thank you, Mr.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That alley is indeed horrid without 4WD. I'm glad you can do that now!