Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Birth Of A Fisherman

I've been looking through some pictures that are in my iPhoto and ran onto these very old photos that I scanned and used in a scrapbook about my children when they were little.

This is Right Back when he was quite young. The picture was taken at my parent's house. My dad enjoyed fishing enough to have a little boat to take to our local lake. He kept it in the back yard, hidden from the street by some hedges. It was a place that would be very enticing to a little boy just looking at the possibilities in the world.

Right Back loved to spend time sitting in the boat playing that he was out there fishing. He loved playing that he was 'Doc', my dad's nickname. Dad was a dentist and lots of people fondly called him 'Doc'.

AH.. trying to start the motor.. Personally, I have always considered anything you had to start with a cord as an impossibility. Still, you know that Right Back has been with his grandfather and knows what should be done to get that engine purring.

After all, you've got to take some action here if you want any results. That may be a good thing to find out while you're young.

Don't you love the hat? I do believe he found this among Doc's yard clothes in the basement.

Ah, the basement is another story... lots of tools and other things to play with.



After you get the motor going, it's time to get serious about fishing. Who knows what you will catch when you really put your mind to it. Getting your hat out of your eyes might help a little too.

So, Dear Reader, what fond memories do you have of play in your childhood? Isn't using one's imagination a wonderful thing? Where would we be without this mysterious sense of imagination?

I can't say that I ever did much playing at fishing. I did try it in the boat at the lake when I was a child and my dad took me out with him. I remember going out early one morning before the sun came up, and we sat on the lake and fished and watched the night turn to day.... a lovely memory. I believe I liked the sunrise, but can't say much for the fishing.

Right Back still enjoys fishing when he has the opportunity. I guess his early play lit the spark somewhere in his being. Imagination. Ah, wonderful!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Right Back and I spent a lot of time in boxes going to the moon. He loved the lake in the back yard, but the moon did call us from the porch. We took Peops(Cheerios) and Tang to keep us going you know. ha

Mary Schmidt said...

I remember going to the lake with you and Doc. As I remember it, we went to Pawhuska Lake. I had never been there before.