Friday, February 5, 2010

Then and Now

I-Needa sent me these photos of her little back yard. I almost hesitate to call it a yard, but it is what is outside her back door. She gardens like a mad woman when it's gardening season. Look at all the lovely foliage. It grew like weeds under I-Need's loving care this past spring and summer. It was a happy little nook.

Looking at this picture made me feel all warm and cozy. I love the green leaves and flowers. It's happy! I'm sharing this with you for the same reason I-Needa shared it with me. It's green. It's growing. It's not white.

So that was then....

Of course, you are going to see the now.



I have to admit that, in my youth, fall was a depressing signal to me that winter blahs were on their way. I knew those beautiful fall leaves meant that the green of spring and summer would soon be gone and replaced with stark reality.

I've grown out of that and learned to see some beauty in every season. Fall is one of my favorite seasons as love everything about the colors. I've even learned to look at the naked branches of winter with a bit of artist eye. They can be quite interesting.

I have learned to accept that we must have the cold of winter. The green will be back. I'm sure it will, as have noticed it happening before. Remember, this is temporary, no matter how distressing or inconvenient. It will pass. In just a few months, I-Needa will be planting again like crazy, or watching for things to come up again. That will be a super good day. Spring fever will hit with a vengeance and those who garden will emerge from their dens and dash to the gardening centers.

In the meantime, we wait and practice a bit of patience.

All this talk of green things and planting just reminded me.... oh dear.... Mr. wants me to learn to can green beans. He loves to garden. He will be one of those out planting when the snow is gone. He has a big garden... big... with all kinds of vegetables. He is going to want me to take care of all this stuff.

You know... I think snow is a beautiful thing. I believe I might just love the cold winter. Spring and planting season is how far away? Perhaps I'd best find some articles on canning and pray that the snow lasts a little longer. Tah Dah

No comments: