Monday, February 22, 2010

Springing The Cat

I ran outside a bit ago to take a picture of Pumpkin. Alas and woe, my camera seems to have quit on me! What a fix! I've done some trouble shooting with it, but it still refuses to cooperate and do its job of taking pictures. I've had it for a long time, and it has served me well. I'm not giving up on it yet, but close. In the meantime, we will have another pictureless post.

Pumpkin Saga Part III

I called the vet this morning to see the status of Pumpkin. The good news is that Pumpkin was ready to go home and is going to be fine. I'll confess that I whine a lot to the vet as am not a cat person and don't like dealing with feisty felines. I'm sure it is the sharp claws and teeth thing.

The bad news: There is more of that then good. First, I'm to give three more days of antibiotics. At that news, I pale and we begin instructions:

Me: 'How do I do that?'

Vet: 'It's easy.'

Me: 'How easy? Hey... I don't like cats... really'

Vet: 'Well... just take hold of him by the scruff (demonstrating in the air), and tilt his head back. His mouth will come open and you can get the dropper in.'

Me: 'Oh.. well... I don't know... maybe.'

Vet: 'Be sure and refrigerate the antibiotic'

Me: 'I can do that!'

Vet: 'Be sure to shake it well before you give it.'

Me: 'I can do that!'

Vet: 'Don't forget: Shake and refrigerate!'

Me: 'I know, I know... I'll remember... really.'

Vet: 'Bring him back in six days to get the stitches removed.'

Me: 'I can do that!'

At this point I hauled out my checkbook. Yep, there was more bad news. It was BAD news.

Receptionist: 'That will be $177.00.'

Me: 'How much?'

Receptionist: '$177.00.'

Me: 'Oh... wow... I'm sure glad I have a stray cat.'

I'm home with Pumpkin now. He is outside lying in the grass. I'm inside licking my wounds. I've talked to him sternly about his little fight with the squirrel. I let him know that he is in my debt, and I'm feeling rather poorly. I have less to play with in the old checking account... and he had better appreciate me. Moral of the story: I haven't a clue, but there should be one in there somewhere.

1 comment:

First RV Adventure said...

Just remember the good deed Pumpkin did to get in your good graces to begin with. He got rid of the mice as I recall and now is vigilant about keeping your area mouse free....and probably squirrel free as well! You did a good thing.