Saturday, March 20, 2010

Yard Work and Crazy Thoughts

Because a blog must have pictures, I offer these dreary looking still in winter mode pictures. It is all I have to show for the time I've spent outside on our two previous sunny days.

Let me advise you from the beginning: I hate yard work. Perhaps hate is a little strong, but it is close to the truth. I don't mind being out there messing around at my own pace when I can stop and go inside when the yard work mood passes. Actually having to accomplish something is another thing entirely.

I was so busy last fall that I didn't have time to cut down the canna and bag them. The huge brown dry leaves against the fence were a constant reminder that I had work to do. Since the temperature went up and the sun came out, I donned my oldest jeans and a sweatshirt and headed off to round up the rake, pruning sheers, and a few yard bags.

Five bags later, I'd bagged the canna remnants, pulled a few other weeds, and picked up the trash blown into my yard from the neighbor's yard. Lovely, really. I actually have some plans for these dreary places, but had to discipline myself from running amuck and putting in a spring look. After all, we are expecting snow... lots of snow... Surprise!

As I was out looking at this poor excuse for a yard, I kept thinking about all the lovely yards I've seen... places that look like they should be in Better Homes and Gardens, or perhaps Southern Living. Mine needs to be on TV as a desperate makeover project. Seriously.

So, while I was in full whine mode, I headed off to read a few blogs. There is always a good read with Ree on Pioneer Woman. I was surprised to find that there may even be a movie in the offing for her story. Actually, I don't know why I should be surprised at all. I've been amazed watching all the things develop in her life. Let me tell you for sure, her yard doesn't look like mine. Her cooking doesn't look like mine. Mine is basic... not fancy. I've learned to 'whirl' in the kitchen and have a fifteen minute time limit on refrigerator to table. I'll admit to trying some of Ree's recipes.

Now for those crazy thoughts:

As I thought about my own personal life and this blog thing in comparison to the above, I felt a secret little laugh trying to surface. Then I-Needa called and I shared some of my thoughts. I told her that I could so write a spoof on all that country life. However, I wouldn't dare.

I can just see Mr. if I told him I was going to write a steamy romance story. Ha! I'm not saying that I couldn't write one (although that would be a question) .... but I'd be killed... probably... by Mr. I'm also rather certain that no book publisher or screenplay writer would beat down my door. Of course, Mr. would have killed me anyway.

I can just see a cookbook in the offing... pictures of favorite places to dine out, some well used home cooked recipes, and perhaps a picture of the Schwan's truck speeding down the street.

As to any Home and Garden segments, I offer you the current blog complete with breathtaking dry grass and empty pots. Yep.... had best not go there either.

I-Needa and I laughed a bit about the whole thing. She said I'd need a name for my steamy story and suggested I call it 'Arch Supports to Four Wheelers'. Now what do you think of that?

Now Dear Readers, I want to impress upon you that I'm not in any way knocking all that fine country living and very interesting blogging done by the afore mentioned woman who was thrust into the country life after growing up in the city. She has a very interesting blog. I really am impressed with all she does and the fact that she has thousands of readers daily who hang on her every word. (Thank you again to my Twenty!... Love you!... and to my three 'Followers')

I think the deep down laugh that is so trying to come out has to do with the fact that I'm just starting this whole process, and I'm a senior citizen... There is hope! Yep... married three months ago to a rancher and taking pictures of cattle. Crazy. It's a totally different thing in my life. Totally! I feel like a pioneer of sorts, and.. Yes, I've been on a four-wheeler. I haven't driven it yet, but have stopped screaming when riding with Mr. He is patient. I'll be sure and work that into my steamy romance novel.

In the meantime, have a totally wonderful day. Watch for any opportunity to find humor, and don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. If you don't do it, someone else will. Tah Dah!

No comments: