Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Bell Choir and The Ding-a-ling

Several years ago at Christmastime, a delightful little show called 'Clamation Christmas' was born. I absolutely loved that cute little show. Everything.... absolutely everything... was made of clay. All my favorite Christmas tunes were celebrated, many in humorous ways.

I think my favorite was Carol of the Bells. The wild haired director took up his baton as the clay bells began delightfully playing the song 'Carol of the Bells'. One poor bell, with a very deep sound, had a terrible time ringing when he should. He was always off, and the director became more and more frustrated with him. At last, the director threw his baton at the bell to sound the final note. I always felt a little sorry for the poor little off beat bell.

So, our church revived a bell choir not long ago. Practice was opened to any and all who would like to join. I didn't. For one thing, being the newly married wonderful wife that I am, I felt I should be at home to put something on the table for dear Mr. (Ah, a legitimate excuse).

This coming Sunday the bell choir will perform for the first time. Unfortunately, one of the members has a family health emergency, and will not be able to attend. Another friend called and asked if I would come and 'fill in' as I know how to read music, and they had no idea who else would be able to do it.

Me? Me? I've NEVER even picked up a bell!! I'm suppose to go learn how to ring the bells and play on Sunday!! Good grief.

Somewhere in life, I seem to have lost the word 'No'. I'm just not quick enough with it. On the other hand, sometimes you just have to say 'yes', even if you aren't sure you should.

So.... I headed to bell choir practice last night. Festive. I was given two of the larger deeper sounding bells... the ones my friend would play if she were there, and some brief instructions on the technique of bell ringing. I got the music. The director started and we were off and running. Count... count... count... ring... ring... count... count.... (WHERE ARE WE?)

Somewhere during the hour I spent trying to count and ring with some kind of technique, I felt very akin with that poor little Clamation bell... the off one. I looked at the calm director and wondered how long it would take before she cast a disparaging look at me. She didn't. I'll say that all the choir members were very nice. No one hit me. However, I'll also tell you that I have again wondered how on earth I get into these things. IF I'd been to practice before, IF I had the technique down, IF I was sure I wouldn't get lost in the count, THEN I'd feel better. The problem is... I WASN'T there, and now I'm going to perform.

The pressure is on. I get to go to church on Palm Sunday and pray that I can count and ring on time and where I should. I would hate to spoil the whole thing. I don't want to stand out as the ding-a-ling on their very first performance. People are depending on me. Gussie!

So, please say a little prayer for me, cross your fingers too, if you think that helps. I feel a little like I might be stepping off a high cliff. Ah, such is life. Tah Dah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! "If they call me, I will etc"
Can't wait to hear the ding a lings! This may qualify you to join the Salvation Army's bellringers...understand they are paid now. Linda