Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Little About Feeding Cattle

Until Mr. came into my life, I knew cattle ate, period. I won't say I know much about the care and feeding of cattle now, but at least I know a little more... emphasis on the word 'little'.

I've driven by these feed storage bins before, but never got up close and personal with one. So far, I've managed to stand back and admire the view and not get too personal. I'll be content with admiring Mr. and cheering him on. Hopefully, it will make both of us happy.

A day or two before our last snow, I rode with him to do a few things. He wanted to check out the bin and see how much feed was left... with his own two eyes. I was going to be content to take his word for it, whatever it was. So, I took along Snappy and figured I'd try out a few shots here and there.

I watched respectfully as he climbed the ladder, then walked over and waved to me. I think he missed me. Either that, or he didn't want to miss a photo op.

Then he raised the cover and took a peek into the bin. Sorry.... I didn't take Snappy up there to see what it looked like inside. I think it has three compartments... or bins... in there. I'm not going to go look.



That being done, Mr. returned to ladder and climbed back down. The whole thing didn't take but a minute, so it wasn't really all that thrilling, but it did give me a chance to take pictures.

Ah... climbing down the ladder. Come on down, Mr. I hope you've had a good time up there!




Some time ago, I-Needa and I rode with Mr. into the country to feed. It was our first experience in a feed truck, and it was different.

We both took our cameras and managed to take a few pictures. Mr. drove the feeder truck under the storage bin and climbed up to fill the truck bin. He found a rock and did a little tap tap number on the bin to help get the feed flowing.

We laughed a bit at the rock tapping, but it worked.

Tap, tap, tap..... tap, tap,

Tap,tap, tap... tap, tap...


Then out came the feed into the truck. The cattle were going to be sooooo happy! Yummy food.

When the feed truck bin was full, off we went to the pasture to feed.

Since this is a little lesson in feeding cattle, I'll keep it short. You've probably learned enough for one day. Just remember to take along a rancher, a feed truck, and a rock if you go to feed cattle. Oh... take a camera too, and remember to stay inside the truck!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be amazed at the turn of events in your life! Did you ever dream you would be involved in ranching life say 1 year ago? It is fun for an
outsider to watch the transition unfold before my very eyes!
Linda