Monday, March 22, 2010

Wild Sunday

I mentioned a blog or two ago that I'd stopped screaming while riding behind Mr. on his four wheeler. Yesterday I found myself screaming in the tractor.

It all started with a trip to the store to get a birthday card. Then Mr. headed to the ranch to feed the dog and cats. The streets in our town are clear, and the highway was clear. What wasn't clear was the county roads. As we turned onto one road, the snow plow was just ahead of us. I found that comforting. Then he turned off and we had to go straight. I didn't find comfort in that. We had a long way to go on Mr.'s road.... not a good thought.

Sure enough, as we were heading along, I felt the vehicle slipping.... yes, that lovely four wheel drive vehicle was slipping and sliding into the bank. Thank goodness it wasn't much of a bank, but it was a fight to get back on the road. Trust me, I didn't make a peep. Not a peep. QUIET. I was really glad when we got back on the road and out of that mess. It could have been a long walk to the house. I'd been holding my breath and praying us back on the road.

So... off we went to the house... fed the dog and cats... and headed back up the road. I sure hoped we didn't go sliding again. I was CONCERNED Then we saw the snowplow truck ahead... stuck in the ditch where we had just been. He was STUCK....

Mr. put the vehicle in reverse and drove backward in the ruts toward the house until he could turn around. Then off we went. He hopped out of the vehicle and said WE were going to go back in the tractor. WE? You and ME??? Me? Going in the tractor? I'm suppose to climb in the tractor? Oh, Gussie!!! Why did I marry this man?

I just sat there and looked around hoping I'd be transplanted magically back into my recliner at home. It didn't happen. I thought of my friends and wondered what they would say if they could see me. I was sure they would laugh. Then the all important question: 'Are you coming, or not?'

I considered just sitting in the car and waiting. Why on earth I climbed out of that car and headed to the tractor I'll never know. Perhaps I have a death wish. Not really. I did it to myself. I headed to the tractor, handed up my purse (Who wouldn't take a nice handbag in a tractor?) and climbed up into that tractor. At that point, I was committed... or perhaps should have been committed.

So... off we go up the road toward the stuck snow plow. I decided at some point on that journey that I have sincerely lost my mind. I'm too old for this. I'm too sensible for this. I'm too smart to have gotten into this. So, why the heck was I in that tractor bumping along the road?

At some point, I demanded Mr. to hand over the cell phone. I called I-Needa and screamed into the phone. 'You'll never believe what I'm doing!! I want my Mother!!!' She was laughing uproariously into the phone. She had no concern for my well being. That girl that I bore just laughed at me. I kept screaming into the phone and she kept laughing. Finally, over the roar of the engine, I screamed that I was hanging up and would call back if I lived over this. That infernal tractor was bumping me all over the place and I just wanted to go home.

As it turned out, the snow plow was stuck... really stuck... Big Time stuck, way too stuck. There wasn't any pulling him out of the ditch. So, Mr. took that tractor and scraped a way for us to get around the truck. There were bucket loads of snow lifted up and onto the side of the road. I had to close my eyes a couple of times. I couldn't decide if I was having fun or not. I wasn't sure. I sure wondered why I was there.

WE rumbled on up the road again and I managed to climb down from the tractor without falling. I'd considered a few times how I was going to get out of that thing. It is high up off the ground, and my shoes weren't the ones I'd have chosen to wear for getting into and out of a tractor. I was sooooo glad to be out of there and almost kissed that muddy ground.

We managed to get back up the road and around the snow plow. He had used his cell phone to call for bigger help to get out of that ditch. Poor guy. I really felt badly about that.

We made it home. I called that I-Needa again on the way. She said that it was wonderful that I'd married a man with skills. Skills!!! He took me out into the country. I had to ride in a bumpy tractor!!! I guess I did experience some things that I'd never done before, and I had to admit that I was safe and sound. I will also admit that it was a bit interesting.

I'm a little concerned as Mr. kept talking about how horrible it was going to be to feed on Monday. I don't know how he is going to drive into the pastures.... not the way they were looking. I'm sure muddy mess would be an understatement. What really worries me is that I am probably on standby to come get him if he gets stuck. I'm going to check on last minute trips to anywhere. I think I could be at the airport in an hour. I might not come back for awhile. Chicken!

No comments: