Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pie

I might well name this picture 'Portrait in Gold Tones'. I even read suggestions from Ree's Pioneer Woman blog about how to take food pictures. It just didn't work for me. I could have continued trying to adjust lighting, etc, but the pie would be long past consumed by the time I got it right.

So, dear blog reader, consider this a picture of pie and continue.

To be specific, it is peach pie... fresh peach pie.. baked my me. For your information, I'm not a pie baker. I also hate the feel of peach fuzz. It is almost like running fingers down an old fashioned chalk board. It gives me the shivers. It just feels yucky.

So when Ranch Man deposited a sack of peaches on my counter and mentioned that word 'pie', I paled. I knew that I was being challenged once again. The fact that these were special peaches from Porter, a town that holds a festival for peaches each year, didn't help. I was responsible for making the supreme pie with perfect taste.

As I saw it, I had three choices: (A) Ignore it (B) Explore it, or (C) Go for it. As Ranch Man saw it I had one choice... Just guess which one.

I searched out a recipe and found one in a Southern Living Annual Cookbook that was lurking in my new over the computer desk cabinet. I hoped all the money I'd spent on cookbooks would pay off and I'd find something there. I did. (Little dance of joy!)

While I was in the middle of slicing those fuzzy little peaches, Son Right Back called. He asked what I was doing. I told him. Twenty minutes later he stopped laughing. I continued slicing peaches and just rolled my eyes a bit. I figured he would quit at some point. He did. Then he picked up the dialogue as to my pie making history and my squeamishness concerning peach fuzz. He said that I just had to know it was funny. I didn't admit it right away, but I knew he was right.

The story has a happy ending. The pie was quite tasty. Ranch Man gave his approval. He was smart enough to do a little raving about it as I'd certainly dropped enough hints about my sacrifice of peach fuzz handling. Of course, I'm sure he will expect more pie in the future. I'm not sure that's happy news for me. Once again, I'm amazed at what we will do for others when the incentive is there. Tah Dah

No comments: