Monday, July 13, 2009

I Know What You Weigh Now

'I know what you weigh now!' is what he said. Those hastily spoken words escaped the lips of New Man, Ranch Man, and hung in the air between us. I was taken totally off guard and couldn't believe what he had said. Those six words were not what I wanted to hear. I leveled my teacher gaze at him and locked him in it. I've practiced and perfected the teacher look. Thirty-seven years of practice has perfected 'the look' which can render the speaker or doer motionless at a single glance.

It started with my trip to the cattle pens. I'd wanted to take a look around before the time I actually had to drive there and take pictures. Son Right Back had business in the area, so he had taken me with him, and we happened upon Ranch Man at the site. As I had been given instructions about climbing up high to get a better view for pictures, I'd had to walk across the scales.... big things.... hello!... weighing cattle twenty or so at a time.... I refused. It wasn't that I was afraid of the scales, but Ranch Man was inside the scale house trying to coax me onto the scales and carrying on about finding out what I weigh. I absolutely refused to be weighed on that cattle scale. It is the principle of the thing. No man in his right mind should try to coax a woman onto a cattle scale to help check the weight. I don't think so!! Absolutely not!! I was a tad miffed at Ranch Man for even suggesting such a thing. I refused in no uncertain terms. It just wasn't right.

Son Right Back finally got on them for the test run. He had heard enough of my vehement refusal. He was ready to move forward and get the deed done.

I believed this was the end of the story. I really did. It was only when those words were spoken by Ranch Man... those six ugly words.. that I knew he had been Sneaky Man. He was stopped dead with 'the look' for a bit, then threw his head back and roared in laughter. He said that he had gone inside the scale house while I was climbing down from my viewing place, and he had weighed me. I'm sure at this point that my eyes narrowed. I can't put on my blog what I was actually thinking. I don't want to be flagged for bad behavior here, but I had a few thoughts concerning Ranch Man's actions. Again, let's review: it is the principle of the thing! I've filed that away in my memory files of the lengths Ranch Man will go to get his way. Hum.... I don't think this is the end of it. I believe the game is afoot. This woman will not be bested, and his day will come. Tah Dah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh MY GOSH!! That man has NO idea what lies ahead of him.
You go girl! Make sure he never forgets that what he did is worse than breeching national security!

Keep us updated.