Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Annual Poop Parade

This morning I got around and walked a few blocks to get a good place to stand and take pictures of this annual parade. Of course, it isn't officially called the Poop Parade. Who would do such a thing?

I'm afraid I'm borrowing the name from Daughter I-Needa. She always calls it that. Just use your imagination a little, and you will understand why.

Normally it is super hot on Poop Parade Day. Seriously... it is hot. Today it wasn't hot, and I'm thinking that was a blessing for both the horses and riders as well as all the watchers. Personally, I was delighted.

I was stationed on one of the streets that is used for access to the parade. There were only three or four of us here, but I loved it. People in the parade waved at us and we even carried on a conversation with some as they passed.

The parade is always colorful, and the roundup clubs around always take pride in riding down our streets carrying their club banners. It is a long tradition in our fair community.




Would you just look at this boy! He waved, then climbed into the saddle for me to take his picture. Wasn't that sweet? Loved it. I can't imagine being able to stand up on a horse. Actually, I'm not sure at this point if I could get on a horse. I may find out one day, but not today.




Keep scrolling...... more pics








There are a number of horse drawn vehicles in the parade every year.


down

down

down





Showing off the colors.. national and state.


down

down

down






Girls like to show off too! You go, girl!!! Go!

I might have to try that. Not really... ever.


down












You are catching on... more horses and riders.
They are smiling because the humidity and temperatures are down. The horses are happy too. I can tell. Don't ask how. I just think they are.


The finale is coming up soon... keep looking.





Last, but not least in the parade, the giant pooper scooper arrives. It follows behind and quickly picks up any reminders left by the horses. They are forgiven as just don't know any better.

Small town living is great. This little parade has been going on since way before I was born. I have fond memories, and many pictures through the years of horses and riders.... the crowd too. There was no crowd today around me. I loved my new vantage point and plan on reserving it for next year.

A little note from me, the editor: No, I haven't gotten my kitchen pictures on yet. I've been busy otherwise with cleaning house and watching the parade. It will happen. Seriously.

No comments: