Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Before and After

These are the new cabinets above the washer and dryer area.

A few months ago..... What am I saying??? Few nothing!! It was all the way back to the first full week of January... this year. Yes... a long time ago, I started out to do a few FEW things to my kitchen. I wanted an update. I wanted to refinish or paint the cabinets, do something about the flooring, and definitely a new ceiling.

Then reality took over and the complete update began. For all these months, I've lived in carpenter droppings and boxes. I kept my sanity. I haven't had that certified yet, but I think I did okay... considering.





This is what the washer/dryer area looked like before. It was okay, but I sure do like my new cabinets.



down



down



Back in October, before the kitchen mess, Master Carpenter Man arrived to work on the living and dining room ceilings. I took this picture in the kitchen... which is complete with droppings from that job. It only takes him thirty minutes to leave things around. You can see the tile, counters, and flooring. Everything has been replaced.

Do keep going.





Here is a photo taken last Thanksgiving. You can see my stove area. There are cabinets against the wall into the dining room. The lower one was virtually useless as I couldn't get to the pans in the bottom. It really was a wasted space. I hadn't designed it... it was just there when I bought the house. You might also check out the flooring... gone now.



down

keep going






Master Carpenter Man moved the door to the pantry and made more room for the cabinet to sit so the drawers and shelving was usable. I replaced the white ceramic tile with glazed stone. Also... no wallpaper... I like this shade of green paint, and there is some fleck of the green in the counter top. I know everyone thinks that granite counter tops are the way to go, but I still opted for a good laminate with a waterfall edge and backsplash. I like it.

I also talked him into custom making new solid oak cabinets. They are wonderful.


more going down..



down a little more...



This was the corner of the kitchen used for my computer work. It was homey, but I really didn't like all the rolling carts and bookshelf that I needed.


We solved that...



Oh, I love my new work space...




I now have all the storage space I need with wall cabinets.

I also have built in file drawers and shelving that slides all the way out to hold my printer and my dedicated photo scanner. Loving it!!!


You might also note that the linoleum flooring has been replaced with solid oak nail down flooring. Loving that too.

I'm really grateful to Master Carpenter Man for all his hard work. I've said it before, but this perfectionist man is great to have around. When things are worth doing, they are worth doing right.

It is nice to have my kitchen back! I may still be in recovery mode as far as getting over all the wear and tear on my sanity. I'm not going to say it was easy. It wasn't, but it was worth it.

No comments: