Monday, July 20, 2009

Not My Comfort Zone

I'm here to confess this morning that sometimes I'm just out of my comfort zone. Maybe that's a good thing and will keep me youthful. I'm not sure. I know that I'm frequently rolling my eyes toward heaven wondering what is next.

It's shipping time on the ranches. Yes, I shared that before on my first outing to see shipping first hand. It really was a neat experience and one that I said I'd do again just for fun. That's true. I would... really.

So.... there has been a discussion with Ranch Man about driving his feed truck. Hum.... You see, the feed truck is NOT one of those nice little automatic shift numbers. Of course not! The feed truck is not even nice. It is what it is: a useful piece of equipment to rattle around in pastures. It doesn't have to be pretty... or automatic. The problem: I don't drive a standard shift. I do know how in my head, but that is a far stretch from being able to do it in reality.

The need arose to have a feed truck driver to lead the cattle while Ranch Man herded them with a 4-wheeler. He posed the question: Do you suppose you could lead the cattle? Funny Ranch Man! Do 'I' suppose I could? I absolutely know I'd be better off running in front of them throwing feed from a basket then trying to drive that stick shift feed truck up the drive.

Being the supportive woman that I am, my mind flipped into gear to help be a problem solver. Actually, I'd do anything to get out of driving that feed truck... especially since I can't drive the feed truck. (Oh... I see lessons on that in my future) I did the next best thing... I volunteered son Right Back. I knew he could do it. He can drive anything and doesn't mind working around the cattle either. I was a little concerned about his foot as he has been recovering from that 'jumping out of a perfectly good plane' injury. He said he could do it, so off he went this morning to help Ranch Man. Good ole Right Back!!!

In the meantime, I'm going to ponder this whole comfort zone thing. Besides the standard transmission problem, I also have the 4-wheelers. Ranch Man has coaxed me on the back of one twice now. He has driven me across the creek bottom and into the back pastures. Oh, mercy! This is another comfort zone that I'm having to work on. It's different. I'm a city gal. I've been a city gal. Now I'm working on learning about the country life. One thing is for sure and certain.... it keeps life interesting. I hope I live through it.

No comments: