Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Have I Done?

I hope I'm not the only one who jumps into something and then asks the question 'What have I DONE?'.

I've been waiting for my Wonderful Carpenter Man to call and get busy on my 'to do' list. I've actually been waiting on him for a couple of years. Seriously. He is busy and certainly never lacking for work. I've had all this time to think of things I'd love to have done.

That all sounds innocent enough, but in all this time I've had, the list has grown and grown. Some of the items are things that NEED to be done. Others are things I WANT to have done.

Yesterday Mr. Wonderful Carpenter Man came by to check all this out. We wandered around from room to room as I rattled off the list. I don't know if he was surprised, but I kept hearing all this stuff coming out of my mouth and wondering at my own sanity.

I finally asked the all important question: 'So, when can you start on this?' I had to laugh as the question put a look on his face which might be described as a deer caught in headlights. We were down to it now. The big question.... 'Well', he said, 'what about Thursday?'

Then the ball was in my court. So... here I was at long last with Mr. Wonderful Carpenter Man ready to begin this whole mess. I stress the word 'MESS'. I've seen him in action before, and know that the mess proceeds the finished product. Yes... I'll be living in a mess for awhile.

I'm not sure if I returned the deer in the headlights look or not. I couldn't see myself. However, I gathered my wits about me and replied 'Thursday will be fine.'

I'm up early this morning realizing that I'm going to have to work too. I have painting to do: sanding, caulking, painting, etc. Note the word 'I'! Yes, I have to work as well. There will be no slacking around here for awhile as long as Mr. Wonderful Carpenter Man is around.

You see, I need incentive to get busy and do all this woodwork painting, etc. This is work I CAN do, so best be doing. Truly, I can see the writing on the wall, the big picture, the reality of what I've done, etc. etc. etc. I have committed myself to the mess and to the work. The work will begin TOMORROW! I'm really sincerely positively asking the big question: WHAT HAVE I DONE?

No comments: