Friday, October 24, 2008

Coming Along

MCM (Master Carpenter Man) has arrived early every day since Oct. 1. This started out about getting a little crown molding. We've been through this before.... a project gone wild.

At this point, the sheetrock is all up, mud and sanding has been done. MCM is doing a last cleaning here before starting more painting.

I think I'm beginning to see that light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, he is leaving me to do the final painting of the walls and the woodwork. I did beg him to cut in around the new crown molding before he leaves. Actually, I mentioned it quickly in passing yesterday, and today he suggested that he might cut in around the new molding with the wall color for me. I just love subtle suggestion.

Yesterday the sanding dust was thick in here again. I truly hate it when he has to sand. It isn't so much the mess as knowing that he is having to breathe that dust. Terrible! Of course, he has a mask, but that dust is everywhere...

Although yesterday's dust was not as bad as before, I did feel sorry for him. When he was finished sanding, I poked my head in the living room and asked if I could bring in the Shop Vac.

Although I'd intended to just help a little, my question was met with his face lighting up like a beacon. He said, 'Do you want to clean up?' Good grief NO, I don't want to clean up!! The floor looked like freshly fallen snow. The air was thick with dust. Now, why would I WANT to clean up?!

The problem was that the 'sorry for him card' had been played, and I just couldn't refuse to go in there and clean up. So I said, 'Sure, I'll clean up." At that, the man made the fastest get-away one could imagine. He practically ran from the room, picking up his lunch box on the way. I was left holding the Shop Vac and wondering how I could have gotten into this mess.

Grace had called earlier in the afternoon with an offer of stew. It was a cold day, and stew looked awfully good at this point, so I put down the Shop Vac and fled the scene myself.

With a full tummy and knowledge that I MUST clean that dust packed room, I returned and swept on into the night.

Of course, MCM came in this morning, grabbed the sander and 'touched up' a few spots. Then he took the Shop Vac and did it all again. MEN!

No comments: