Friday, June 20, 2008

Small Town Girl

I'm a small town girl... whatever that means. I can drive across our town in five minutes, if I don't hurry. It's wonderful!

On our trip, we passed through Chicago. I was so tickled to be on the bus and not one of those cars. I was so thankful that I don't have to deal with this traffic on a daily basis. I was EXTREMELY glad that I didn't have to deal with it as we drove down the street. Our very capable driver doesn't mind, and I was happy to be letting him handle all this mess. It doesn't bother him. It bothers me.


I will say that it was fun to see the sights of Chicago. We had a great step-on guide, 'Big Julie', who took us on Chicago's Original Gangster Tour.. the Untouchable Tour. We heard historically accurate accounts of the exploits of Capone, Moran, Dillinger, and the rest of the boys.

I know these weren't nice people as we view 'nice.' It was amazing to listen to their stories and wonder how they managed to continue at what they did for so long. There certainly were lots of enemies made and scores settled. It was interesting to hear their stories and connections. Hey, it is part of Chicago's history.

Like I said earlier, I'm a small town girl. I really don't think I'd like gangsters, and I know I don't like traffic. It is just too much of both.

I've often thought about the phrase 'Bloom Where You're Planted', and I think I like my small town just fine. I'll be happy to bloom here.

No comments: