Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Must Have Products

While visiting I-Needa recently, I had an appointment to have my hair styled. Normally, I’d say I was getting a haircut. However, this was a bit fussier in terms of time, service, and outlay of cash. Therefore, I choose to call it styling.

I’m a simple gal. I want a really great haircut that I can blow dry with a hairdryer and let fly in the wind. I have no ‘products’. I can’t remember the last time I purchased a can of hairspray. I don’t need it. I don’t want it. I don’t like the way it feels.

So....... I walked in to get my hair styled. Karen, the stylist, greeted me warmly. She has been styling I-Needa’s hair for awhile, and it does look darling. Karen ushered me to her cubical and began fussing with my hair. I do have wonderful hair. It is thick and coarse. It will do about anything. After playing with my hair a bit, Karen gave me a wonderful shampoo. Then it was back to the cubical to start the process of making me over. She got the razor and began working like mad on my hair. Pretty soon she did some other things with scissors. She did some fairly funky things, but I remained calm. When at last she was finished, she grabbed the blow dryer and started in on me with a very tiny round brush. Then she leveled her eyes on me and announced that I needed PRODUCTS.  She grabbed a tall slender bottle, shook the beejeebers out of it, and squirted a lemon size amount of foam into her hands. Then she pulled it all through my hair...Volumizing Mousse she called it. I’ve been Moussed!

Next she opened a small jar and took a dab of something gooey which she slapped around in the palm of her hands. 'Now, you are going to have to use manipulator. You really need products.'  I later found that this manipulator stuff goes by the name of Bed Head.

Honestly, all my life I’ve hurried to the shower to get rid of any bed head look. I didn’t know that my hair sticking out in all directions was such a fetching look. Well, I was about to find out what the new look would do. I was being updated.

With volumizing mousse and bed head goo, I was on my way to style. Now, bed head goo is worked into dry hair. Lovely. You pull that hair up and out and round about to create something wonderful. When you get the look you want, you grab a bottle of hair spray. ‘Wait’, I said. ‘I don’t use hairspray.’ I think the poor stylist about passed out. I saw some eye rolling going on and she again repeated with a slight laugh, or perhaps cackle, 'You need products!'

I will admit that my hair looked pretty good as I left. Wind didn’t bother it either. I felt pretty spunky about my new look. I carried with me a bag of ..... you guessed it... products that she had sold me to get me on the right track to looking good.

The next morning I washed my hair. I put in the lemon size amount of volumizing mousse. I dried my hair with the hairdryer and a tiny round brush. I didn’t have a clue about the amount of Bed Head goo to put on, so I experimented. For all my efforts, it didn’t really stick out like it had the day before, and I will also admit to not putting on enough hairspray. Some time during the day, I decided to add a little more goo. Not a good idea. I finally gave up and just washed my hair in the middle of the day.

This really is a great haircut, and it does fall nicely with just blow drying it. I’m afraid I’m just not a goo and goop gal, and I don’t think I’m going to apologize for it. I think life will go on without hairspray and goo. I will continue to use the mousse. It is rather nifty and has a nice simple fragrance.  

No comments: