Friday, June 27, 2008

Mackinac Island

Mackinac At Last

I took this picture on our second day on the Island. I popped it at the top as realized there are very few pictures with anything but gray skies.

Most of us living in the middle of our country will remember this spring. It has rained and caused all kind of havoc. Before leaving on the trip we had experienced tornadoes all over the country and massive rains. I will admit to reminding God over and over again that we needed safe travel, and good weather would be appreciated. I'm not going to complain as we had a safe and fun journey. We did have to contend with some gray skies, but I'll not complain.

Downtown was a quaint and busy place. Remember that no motorized vehicles are allowed on the island, except emergency vehicles.

Here you see carriages and bicycle. Many use the good old fashioned walking method. Here must be tourist row. There are tons of shops selling shirts and all kinds of clothing with Mackinac Island plainly visible. There are also fudge shops.... everywhere. Fudge is a big product of the island.



Just check out all the bicycles. I know a person or two who might just think this is Heaven. They are great bicycle enthusiasts and would be SO at home here. Bicycle speed limit is 20 mph. Police use radar guns at times and tickets can be given. If too many tickets are acquired by a happy speeding cyclist, they can forfeit their drivers license on the mainland. Really.







I just had to shoot the carriages going down the street. It was strange to see delivery wagons and trash being picked up... all the things we have cars and trucks for... all being done with either bicycles or horse drawn wagons.

It is rather like being dropped off in another time.





Walking from the town area back toward our hotel. Sky color... well, it isn't raining. I kept telling myself that. The birds were happy and there were lots of gulls around.

I'd lined up a wonderful close shot of gulls sitting on a ledge. I'd been so quiet and was ready to shoot when a probably 10 year old boy came by on his bicycle and shooed them away. Grrrr!





Our hotel, The Island House is the large white building at far right.












Ohhh.... here comes another taxi.













A closer view of The Island House. My room was on the first floor on the left. It wasn't in one of the round rooms. When I was in my room, I could hear the horses clip clopping by on the street. I closed my eyes and imagined that I was living long before the time of automobiles. I realized that I was hearing the street sounds of long ago.






It was the 2008 Mackinac Island Lilac Festival. We saw many many beautiful lilac bushes and trees... yes, trees.











During a stop to change from a two to a three horse carriage, we waited in a building complete with... you guessed it... shops.... and a few displays. I asked someone later about this hearse and the last time it was used. I was told that it had been used the week before. This isn't just an antique on display. It's what is used on the island.

What was I thinking?... I keep forgetting about the no motorized vehicle law.



A look from inside our three horse carriage. Drivers kept making jokes about the front seats being the greatest odor zones. Now.... let's think about that a moment. Hummmm.... Fortunately, I don't think I saw any elimination problems during the trip. Worked for me.








This three horse drawn cart is lovingly referred to on the island as the 747. Ha!

These horses are large!!! They aren't Clysdales, but they are still huge animals. We were traveling some hills, and they needed to be strong to get us there.

I was impressed with all the care given the animals. They are valued and well cared for.

I'm providing a link to my Flickr pictures of Mackinac Island. Later I'm going to post pictures of The Grand Hotel. It is some swanky place!!!

Head off to see more of my Flickr pictures of Mackinac Island. I hope you enjoy them!

You may be thinking that you would like a trip to the island. It is great fun!
If you are intrigued and have an irresistible urge to see more... or you might be ready to plan your trip here... just pop on off to the following and check it out: An Official Site

No comments: