Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Dangers of Oil Changes

Lessons From The Mother

Not long ago, I made the really BIG confession of going to get an oil change and coming home with a new vehicle. I must admit that I really am having fun with it. It isn't as fuel efficient as my sedan style car, but I like it, and I don't have to commute or take cross country trips in it. Here you see it tucked safely in its spot in the carport, which is fit snugly up against my craft cottage. It is happy here. I've named it Snowball as is my first white car and it even has a little glistening in the paint which reminds me of the glare of snow in winter.

If you read my little confession, you know that this was the second time I'd gone in for an oil change and come home with a new vehicle. I did have GOOD reasons to do this. Of course, all my friends and family laughed at me.... again.

I recently drove my less than two week old Hyundai purchase to I-Needa's house, which is about two hours away. I really enjoyed the ride and all the new toys that are part of Snowball.


I-Needa Becomes Her Mother

I-Needa was just paying off her darling little Jeep, which was such a cute car. The problem with the Jeep was the gas milage. I-Needa has a number of miles to travel each day across Big City to get to her work. With the cost of gas, it was taking a bite out of her budget.

I-Needa has reasoning powers which she inherited from her mother.... me. She spent much time on the Internet looking at cars and comparing them. She had loved her spunky Jeep, but decided that something was going to have to be done. In all fairness to I-Needa, she had been talking about this issue even before I came tootling up to her house in a new Santa Fe. However.... really.... I'm sure my enthusiasm over my new car didn't help quiet I-Needa's festering new car fever. AND... BY THE WAY... I-Needa had scheduled an oil change for her Jeep. ALERT: AN OIL CHANGE!

Because of the dire threat of more severe weather, I came home a day early. I wanted my buggy under the carport as I-Needa's garage will only hold one vehicle. So, I-Needa was left to her own devices for awhile, and I'm thinking she was glued to the computer chair with more facts and figures rolling around in her head.

I spoke to her early on Monday morning. I tried to be sly, but asked if she was going to look at any cars that day. She said that making a pan of brownies might be what she should do. She might even eat all of them. I knew better. I'm the mother. I knew that I-Needa would dress and head straight for the car dealerships to just look.

That's exactly what she did. I received a call from her later in the morning. She was sitting in a 2009 Hyundai Sonata waiting to test drive it. Giggle Giggle....... I-Needa had been busy, but not with baking brownies.

Hours later, I-Needa was the proud owner of her new vehicle. She is back to the sedan style as HAD to opt for better gas mileage. She is having a wonderful time with her new car and all its toys.

Of course, there are lots of things to do when you purchase a new car. That's nice as gave her an excuse to be out and about driving.

I-Needa did remember to call and cancel the oil change on the jeep. Yes, indeedie, oil changes can be dangerous. They can lead to increased car payments. By the way, I-Needa has again become her mother....me. She even managed to avoid that oil change. I believe the tradition has been carried on. Tah Dah!!

No comments: