Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan gives a whole new meaning to the word 'grand'. I couldn't begin to get all the porch area in my photo. It goes on forever and ever. What an entrance to this plush grand place.

The movie 'Somewhere In Time' staring Christopher Reeves was filmed on the Island. We watched it again after visiting and recognized many of the places. Cool! It was certainly a perfect place to film.

The flowers which line the walkway are lovely. There are lots of pansies mixed in, and they do add lovely color to the place.





Let's take a look from on the porch. It does seem to go on and on.

We were scheduled for lunch at the hotel's buffet. Our driver, John, kept telling us how long the buffet was and that we wouldn't believe it. Actually, I think the buffet turned out to be about as long as this porch. Not kidding!

Since we had business in the hotel, we didn't have to pay to go inside. Tourists to the island can go inside for $15. Seriously. I can't imagine the crowd if they didn't have that little fee in place.






Once inside, I just had to act like the tourist I was and snap photos. I knew it would be my one chance. I just had to capture those memories. I don't think I'll be converting my living room to anything like this soon, but I like the colors and the look.









Yep, just looking the other direction. There is Sam, smiling at me. He is happy to sit down for a bit. I don't know what he thinks about this decor.

Check out that carpet! BIG geraniums!












The other day I posted pics of our crossing the Mackinac Bridge. From the edge of the property, I caught sight of the bridge in the distance. I was pleased to get this wider view shot.










Walking uphill from the hotel, I'm thinking that I'm back somewhere in time as well. It is quite a feeling to be in a world where cars do not exist. Actually, I rather liked it. I will say that no one gave me a horse to tend, so that might have a bearing on the whole thing. It was an unrushed place. There certainly were NO noisy cars with music blaring and bass so intense that it made your body pound in rhythm. What you heard was a gentle clip clop of hooves against pavement. Lovely, really.










Of course the hotel had shops. On the lower level was another world of really neat places. I wandered into this shop when I spied a darling teapot sitting on a shelf. It was made of cast iron and really was cute. I do love teapots and it crossed my mind that I should have this one. I considered the prospect of carrying a cast iron teapot around the hotel and into lunch. I also turned it over and viewed the almighty price tag. It was as grand as the hotel. I left it there for some other soul who didn't have as much will power as I'm blessed with.


I did take a ton of pictures in the hotel and around the area. Once again, I will send you off to the entire bunch as I've put them on Flickr. I do hope you enjoy the rest of them there.

The Grand Hotel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula and my family would visit Mackinac Island every year. It is a beautiful place, very special and unique. Thanks for the pictures of the Hotel, how beautiful! I have never seen the inside, although we would beg my parents to stay there and the answer was always no! :)
Did you try any of the islands Famous Mackinac Island Fudge??? I crave the stuff!!!