Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Our Holland Stop

Our first major stop in Michigan was the lovely Dutch town of Holland.... sound Dutch? We spent part of our day exploring Dutch Village. All the things you'd expect to see in the Netherlands are in Dutch Village... or at least I thought they were. I was in the Netherlands years ago, and I enjoyed this as well.

This picture is the entrance to the village. It is quaint, but you have no idea of the real charm until you enter.




This street organ is huge!Look at the pipes exposed in the openings! I included a picture of the sign beside it as it gives great information. I sometimes fancy that if items could talk, they would have a lot to say. This authentic organ was used at fairs and on market days. It was too large to be pulled through the streets. They do have a smaller street organ which was pulled through the streets and looks like this one.





Do take time to read the sign and be impressed!


























Several times during the day, you can be treated to dancers demonstrating typical Dutch dances. Of course... the street organ is playing like mad.

Audience involvement... certainly. There is that moment after the dancing that the audience is asked to join in... you know... volunteer. I did. Several of our group joined in and we had a good time. We were rewarded with Honorary Dutch Dancing stickers. A prize!


I'm going to share a link to my Flickr pictures of Holland. Do take time to check them out and you can view them as a slideshow. Just click and you will be off to more pictures: My Holland Flickr pics

I hope you enjoy them. Also, you might like to learn more at the Dutch Village Web site.

No comments: