Monday, June 30, 2008

Patriotic Display


One of our trip stops was in Brandon, MO. What a fun place for shopping and musical entertainment. During the morning, we headed for the Historic Downtown area. There were shops, lots of them. The men were really excited about this. The women were really excited about this.

I will admit to almost being on overload with this whole shopping thing. I do enjoy an occasional shopping outing, but have lots of sales resistance.






I will confess to one purchase in the street of Historic Downtown Branson.

My life at been set on hold at 6:00 A.M. the day before. That's when the dreaded moment we all face.... the demise of the watch battery... occurred.

I'd found myself checking my watch a million times, and it was always 6:00 A.M. It's funny what creatures of habit we become. I'd asked my travel mate a million times for the time. Actually, I hadn't asked that many times. I'd really tried not to ask. I had. I didn't want to be an annoyance. I'd paced myself and only asked a few times when I just HAD to know for some unexplained reason. (Okay... I'll bet if you've EVER had a watch battery die on you... you KNOW what I mean!)

There in the street I saw a kiosk of watches! Just my thing! I purchased two. Well.... they were not expensive, and they had a 2 For sale. For only a few dollars more... really just a few.. I could have 2 watches. My sense of economics wouldn't let me pass up such a deal.

Getting around to the title of this little posting, which you probably decided I wasn't going to do, I will now tell about the patriotic display.

In the heart of the downtown area were water displays. One was the fountain area in the second picture, and the other was by the river or canal area. (Oh, my gosh, I'm not sure now if that is river or canal! I'll check later.)

The water by the R or C rises and falls to various tunes being played over the loud speakers. It really is pretty. We were told to hang around a bit as there would be a show shortly.

Soon the water shut off for a bit, then the strains of our National Anthem began to play and the water show began. With our Flag showing in the center, the water shot higher and higher. On cue with 'Bombs bursting in air' the fire stacks starting firing. It really was a wonderful sight.



Everyone stood and put their hands over their hearts as they should. My camera has a swivel LCD screen. (I don't know why all cameras don't have this feature as I LOVE it!) Anyway, I turned the screen up so that I could see that I was pointing towards the display. I just kept my hand over my heart and kept clicking the shutter. 'The bombs bursting in air'... click... 'Gave proof through the night'.... click.... 'That the flag was still there'..... click.

I must say that I LOVED this beautiful display and the show of patriotism on the streets of Historic Downtown Branson. Yea them!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to love going to Branson. We went several times. Now I am in no physical shape to go anymore, but I sure wish I could.