Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Licking Wounds

Yesterday was my scheduled trip to the dental office for cleaning. I don't mind cleaning, but I hate going as know they are going to find some little tiny something somewhere that needs 'fixing'. I always brush and floss. I set out to floss my way to a cavity free report. I've flossed like there was no tomorrow. The hygienist gave me a praise report after I nudged her into the fact that I needed a bit of validation for all that flossing. Of course, the dentist has the final say on that matter. Sure enough, he just had to find a teeny tiny cavity on an upper very back tooth. I HATE that!!! So, now I have to go to the dentist for drilling and filling. I HATE that!!!

I came away deflated feeling like a flossing failure. I have an appointment scheduled. Bummer and such! I was in LOW spirits.

I decided to lick my proverbial wounds and head to a place of comfort and retreat: Hobby Lobby. I will admit that I hadn't much real spirit or interest, but I'd just look. Of course I realize that looking is a potential hazard in Hobby Lobby, but I just needed to go. I needed consolation after my dental experience.

I sure saved a lot of money at Hobby Lobby! Now that perked me up. Of course, I had to spend to save, but it works.... sort of. In the 80% off aisle, I found two metal sculptures to hang outside on my craft building. Tah Dah! I've been looking for something for a year, and here it was in the 80% off aisle.

Then I spied the wind chimes. Ah!! They were half price! I have some metal wind chimes that I've always loved. Unfortunately, they've been sitting on the bench in the craft house for a couple of years now. The strap holding them has weathered away and they need to be restrung. That is something that I haven't faced. Well, here were new ones in the half price aisle. Indeed, my day was looking up. Into the cart they went.

I wasn't quite finished with saving, either. I also found some flowers on half price so I'll have something spring looking to put on my front porch in a cute little wagon. With a coupon I'd tucked into my purse, I finished off the savings spree with a little stamp from the stamping aisle.

I was feeling much better now as had saved almost $60 and had some items I really needed. (I realize that is up for debate).

In this whole process, I also managed to help others find bargains. Two ladies were looking for some plaques to hang in their church. They had found some and were discussing which ones to get. I somehow got mixed into their conversation and reminded them that they needed to group in an odd number, so needed three. They assured me they were getting three. I kept looking at them and finally suggested that they might want to get frames when they are on sale and frame each plaque. Their eyes lit up and got really round. They were delighted with the idea of framing them. You see, I helped those ladies save money too.

My one real chuckle came in the fabric department. There I overheard a conversation between a mother and her small son. I'm guessing he might have been six or so. She was shopping, and he was looking at some of the fabric. She asked him if he liked any of the fabric. He held up the end of one of the prints and said he liked that one. She asked him what he would do with it, and he said, 'Put it on the ceiling.' I chuckled softly. Amazingly, she didn't. Rather, she replied, 'We'll think about that another day.' Sure they will!

I will admit that my visit to Hobby Lobby had taken some of the sting out of the fact that my dental disaster was occurring. I have that to face yet, but I do have some wonderful items at a great savings from one of my favorite stores.

No comments: