Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Major Changes

You might say that I’ve been away for awhile... around six months. It couldn’t be helped. Well.... perhaps it could have been helped, but life got too busy and things too hectic. I just had to sit back awhile and remain silent. I did get a bit of criticism from friends who didn’t like me leaving on a note of Bad, Bad, Bad. That wasn’t positive at all.

To make a long story short... New Man (Ranch Man) and I continued that dating stuff, and now are married. Yep.... married. I may now just call him 'Mr'. I just couldn’t bring myself to write a continuing saga of dating. However, married life is another thing, and I’ve found new blog fodder in everyday life. Yep... Mr. has rolled his eyes and thinks I should stay away from blogging. I think he suspects that he might be a topic of conversation. Imagine that! I, on the other hand, am seeing things from an entirely different prospective.

Perhaps I need to reintroduce myself since I’ve been away for so long. I’m a gal who has lived a happy fulfilled life in small town America. I love small towns. There is something quaint about them. Togetherness is a given. Everyone knows your business. Seriously... almost everyone. While that may seem restricting to some, it also provides a strong sense of community. People are there, and they care.

I guess I have to admit that I’m a senior citizen. I don’t always admit it, but have been known to whip out my Senior Discount card on Mondays for a 15% discount at Alco, and again on Wednesdays at our local grocery store. The rest of the days I’ll not admit my age. I just like to think of myself as timeless... ageless... just beginning.

The truth is that I retired from teaching in the public school system almost six years ago. It was at the end of 2004. I’d spent thirty-seven years of my life with elementary age children, and I’d enjoyed those years. I’d thought I’d see forty years of teaching, but one day I looked in the mirror and gave myself permission to start another phase of my life: retirement. I must say that I’ve really loved that phase. I have a theory that each phase of life has something unique to offer, and we might as well enjoy each one to the fullest.

I have a daughter, whom I call I-Needa on my blog. Of course, her name isn’t I-Needa. I picked that name up from the fact that we both have a habit of starting conversations with ‘I need a .......’ We laughed about that a number of times and her Internet name was born. I-Needa has followed in her Mother’s footsteps of teaching. She still loves it.

My son, whom I call Right Back, lives in Small Town. He drops in often to see me and often starts some project for me. Then he sails away with the parting words, ‘I’ll be right back.’ Right. I usually don’t see him for awhile as he is busy elsewhere. I’ve seen it as a pattern and am somewhat suspicious of it.

Mr. is my love interest/ new husband. Mr. and I have known each other for years. Actually, we dated way back when we were both young/ single/ never been married. (Ah, how sweet!) Mr. hasn’t retired. (Thankfully!) He is fully involved in his passion, ranching. I like a busy husband as he is off and away during the day and I have my own personal space. Perhaps that doesn’t sound good, but it sure feels good. I think everyone needs some space to do their own thing, and I’ve been doing my own thing for too many years to count. I can’t just give that up and be ready for a husband to be hanging around the house 24/7. That just wouldn’t make my life complete. I’m fairly sure that he wouldn’t like it either.

Ranching is a new thing for me. It is a way of life. That should probably be in capital letters... emphasized... drawn out... W-A-Y O-F L-I-F-E. It is new to me, although I’ve lived in cattle country all my life. So, here is a senior citizen woman suddenly thrust into the W-A-Y O-F L-I-F-E of ranching. It is an understatement to say that I’m receiving more than my share of comments from the People of Small Town about ranching. The men seem most interested in my adaptation. I’m starting to recognize the glint of mischief in their eyes as they formulate some timely advice to give me on my new role as rancher’s wife. Example: While in the grocery store last week (not on a discount day), a local man grinned and told me to be sure to feed the cattle early on Thursday morning so I’d make it to the retired teachers’ meeting on time. ( Chuckle, chuckle.) I ran into him again on aisle 7 with his wife. He chuckled again and told his wife what he’d said to me on aisle 3. Gotta love it. Really...

Somehow turning me from a senior citizen school teacher retired person into an active ranch wife is going to be something of a transformation. I’m not sure how that is going to work, but I think some are going to try.

Wherever this new life takes me, and whatever it brings, it is new. I’m back and enthusiastic. I have new things to say. So....please come back. I'll try to be a better blogger. Really

No comments: