Saturday, January 23, 2010

Christmas Gift From My Hubby

Mr. and I agreed this year that we wouldn't get each other anything for Christmas. We'd just had a wedding and were leaving shortly on a Caribbean cruise. That seemed enough. We agreed.

Of course, I couldn't stand it, so had picked out some little something for him... Jelly Bellies... a fairly good size box as had seen him buying them once upon a time. I figured that would be okay and he would like them.

He didn't seem to hold with the agreement either as there was a package from him to me under the tree. I wondered what my new husband had picked out for me. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that he'd done a little shopping for me too.

The moment of truth came when the wrapping came off to reveal a lovely new fencing tool. That's right.. a fencing tool. He was so proud. Uh-huh. Proud. He quickly told me what a wonderful tool it was, and that it really was a good one. Impressed? Well... I'm thinking one of us has a lot to learn. Never had I expected a pair of pliers designed to help in assisting my new husband with fences. He is such a thoughtful guy.

I've learned since then that the value of the gift depends on perspective. I have mentioned this gift to others. Men seem to think it is a wonderful gift and that I should really be impressed with it. My women friends just laugh. Me? Well... I'm not so sure. I'm really trying to appreciate the fact that at least it is an excellent quality tool. Have I used it yet? Are you kidding? Am I going to use it? We will see. I'm not betting on that one way or the other yet.

I have had the presence of mind to show Mr. a little respect about this whole gift giving thing. I don't want to inhibit his need to share with me. I tried to give back as was given and have told him that he is really going to like his new kitchen mixer when it comes. Enough said! Tah Dah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the gift with the price
sticker still on it.
Hope you recycled the duct tape.
Enjoy your new tool :)
Brenda M.