Saturday, January 30, 2010

Driving Instructions

I stepped outside this morning (actually written on Friday) and snapped a picture from my porch. I am pleased to note that this snow is not deep snow yet. Our state is being hit by a major winter storm. The gloom and doom machines from the weather stations have been on major coverage. There are areas that had lots of ice and sleet before the snow started. Areas have lost power. I feel rather fortunate that we didn't have the ice.

I live on a hill. That has always been a small, or large, issue for me depending on the road conditions in winter. It was a major relief when I retired and didn't have to worry about sliding down the hill on ice to get to work... if they didn't call school off. I just felt freed not to have to worry about that at all... I mean AT ALL.

So... This morning I fixed Mr. a nice big hot nourishing breakfast as he is headed out to feed the cattle. He had finished his two egg, many ingredient, mouth watering good omelet and had started on his hot bowl of oatmeal with craisins, cinnamon, and honey.... when.... he shifted into his serious mode. I recognize the mode now. He straightens his shoulders, sits a little taller, and gets this focused look. I knew I was in for something I wouldn't like. I'd have bet on it.

Sure enough, he tells me that he is going to share some information and that I was to listen closely... pay attention...because... it might be very important.

I really don't like conversations that start like this. I know.. absolutely know... that I'm in for it, so to speak. So, being only on my second cup of coffee and not at all ready for serious, I tried to focus and do the best I could to listen.

It was about how to put the vehicle he would leave here into four wheel drive so I could drive to a remote pasture and rescue him if he gets stuck. Oh... gussie!! I'm not liking that thought at all. Being a through man, I get the full lecture as to how four wheel drive is different from my regular vehicle. I'm telling you... I get full instructions just in case I need to go for application. I guess I should be grateful, but I don't even like to think about having to get out.

It is at moments like this that my previous state of being single looks like a green pasture I left behind. What was I thinking??! I never had to worry about what was going to be required of me in terms of stepping out of my comfort zone. Snow... stay home. Ice... stay home. Sleet... stay home. I didn't worry about four wheel drive or rutted pastures. I didn't care about cattle getting fed. The only thing I needed to do was open the back door and shove Pumpkin's food onto the porch. Pumpkin, my cat, seems to like that about me. He comes to the door. I open it and put out the food. It is a regular happening, and I don't even have to leave the comfort of my house. I certainly don't have to worry about getting stuck.

After a good ten minute explanation of the mechanics of four wheel driving, I looked pleadingly up at Mr. and told him I had to leave the table... I felt nausious. I really did. I refilled my cup of coffee and headed for the living room for awhile to meditate on how I'd let myself get into this fix.

Oh... I did have the presence of mind to remind Mr. that he has a cell phone full of names of male friends who would probably love the drive in the snow. I suggested they might love to come rescue him if the need arises. He just looked at me... it was the look of pity bestowed on one who isn't quite bright, or one who has lots of training ahead. Personally, I'm going to go get on my knees and pray that Mr. doesn't get stuck and that I can stay home.

I guess I should share that Mr. has announced that when he gets back today we will go driving. Correction... I will drive. He wants me to get use to driving with four wheel drive. Isn't that just super of Mr.? Oh... gussie!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I can see this conversation taking place. Well described. So, did you go driving? Did anybody take pictures?