Thursday, January 28, 2010

Death of An Ironing Board

Many, many, many.... many... years ago, I gave up ironing. I decided that all things permanent press was the way to go. I got rid of my then husband and the ironing at the same time. I was F R E E!

I have friends who continue to iron. Actually one friend irons everything.. napkins (mine are paper)... hubby's shirts, etc. I'm not too sure that she doesn't have handkerchiefs. Surely not! I'm probably stretching it at that point.

I've kidded her through the years about all the ironing she does, and she is patient enough to explain that men's shirts look better if pressed. I have to admit that I agree on that point.

When I said 'I do', I guess I also took up ironing by default. I hadn't thought about it at the time, but ironing seems to come with men's laundry. So, I became the dutiful wife and took out the ironing board and iron. I've tried to hum or think little happy thoughts as I iron those shirts. Perhaps I should say 'press', not 'iron', as getting shirts to look good now isn't at all what it once was. The fabric lends itself to less wrinkles and a better speedier press.

I was happily (liar, liar) pressing away on Mr.'s shirts yesterday when the ironing board collapsed under me. Seriously. Thankfully I had the iron in hand, so didn't have to worry about it falling to the floor. I couldn't believe that my trusty ironing board had taken to keeling over during work. What was wrong with it?

I turned it over and found a mangled twisted and separated crossbeam (That's what I'll call it... I don't know what it's really called). It had flat dab given up and died on me. There is no fixing it. It just quit. So... I lovingly placed the remaining ironing where I can find it again this year, and have taken to grieving for my loyal trusty ironing board. Seriously... I'll just have to go get a new one. I wonder if they make ironing boards now days. I guess I'll find out. Hi ho, hi ho, a shopping I will go... for a trusty ironing board.... hi ho, hi ho. In the meantime... I CAN'T iron. So sad.

No comments: