Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Third Day Fish Smell

I woke rather late this morning. I was still visiting I-Needa. This was day four of my visit, and I was to leave this morning. You know that old saying about visitors and the smell of dead fish being about the same after three days. As I woke this morning and whiffed the air, I wondered what on earth I was smelling. It was bad...Bad...
BAD! I thought the air smelled a bit like fresh dog poo.

Gigi would have had to work a week to make such a horrid smell. I did check the floor just to be on the safe side. I felt guilty even thinking about that as she is a dog who knows where poo belongs and where it doesn't.

I grabbed a Kleenex and tried to blow the horrid smell away. That didn't work either. I headed out the bedroom door. I-Needa said something about the place smelling bad. She had gotten that right, for sure!

We spent awhile trying to figure out what it could be. It was everywhere. She said that once in a great while, she could smell it and hadn't been able to figure out what it was. I really felt much better knowing that she could smell it too, but we needed an answer to WHY and WHAT we were smelling.

Things seemed to get better, and I finally needed to get on the road heading home. I thought it would be a nice leisurely day for I-Needa to regroup and relax before the work week begins again. When I arrived home, I called I-Needa to let her know. She began telling the wild tale of everything that had happened in the two hours since I'd left her place.

I believe I'll begin with the 911 call which brought the fire department to her door. Yes, that seems a good place to start. It seems the smell only intensified after I left. I-Needa said that it started smelling like something burning. There was no smoke, but the smell was so strong and getting stronger. She dialed 911 and said that she didn't know if she should be calling or not, but she was concerned that something electrical might be making that awful smell. Of course, the fire department arrived with lights and sirens. I-Needa said three gorgeous fireman came. I complained that she had to call when I was gone, so I couldn't see the gorgeous fireman. She explained why she had called and how embarrassed she was to have called them out, but she didn't want to have something electrical going on and have her place burn down. She said that she was sorry they had to suit up, but was glad they didn't have to soot up. She said they laughed.

Checking around the kitchen, the firemen told I-Needa that it smelled like burned food. She told them that she hadn't been cooking anything. They checked her oven anyway and seemed surprised when it was clean and there was no evidence of burning. They finally told her that the smell could be coming from the common wall of the condo next door. The firemen didn't go to that condo, but I-Needa did later. She pounded and pounded on the door, but never got an answer. She said their back screen door was open, but they weren't answering.

After assuring I-needa that she didn't have an electrical fire in the walls, the firemen left, the smell lingered, and the plumber came..... twice. Oh, yes, there is more to I-Needa's supposed restful morning. There is definitely more... To be continued tomorrow.........

No comments: