Friday, October 1, 2010

Stepping Into The Past

It was 1904, and the family gathered in the studio to capture a moment in time.  Portraits were a serious business, and no one would mention 'Say cheese!' to those gathered and looking appropriately serious for the occasion.  Even the baby is sitting quite still and seeming to 'feel' the moment.

I can only guess at the home activities which preceded the trip.  Getting three of the male species into suits, one girl into a dress, and the baby into his little outfit must have been interesting.   The mother, of course, would be about making herself look fresh and ready for the picture too. I wonder how much ironing she had to do with the old fashioned non electric beast of an iron.  I'm sure they were all excited at the prospect of having a family photo made.  Perhaps I shouldn't speak for the young boys.  They might not be as enthusiastic about donning those suits.

However, there they are, seated in the studio in 1904, respectfully clad in their finest.  Perhaps a few pictures were taken to ensure there was one very good photo.  Click, click, click, and the family is captured in living black and white.

I don't remember seeing this photo until recently.  It is one of those treasures found during my new genealogy quest.  I was absolutely thrilled to get it and find that the adults are my paternal grandparents.  The baby is my father.  It is almost an awesome feeling to look at the faces and realize that for one brief moment I can look at them all just as they were in that one moment in time.  It's like meeting them. It's gathering with their little group and being thankful that they took the time to make their way to the studio for that family portrait.  I'm also thankful that the picture was cared for through the years and that I can now have it.   It's like stepping into the past and sharing something quite precious with my ancestors.

No comments: