Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Green Bean Fairy

I had other plans for my blog this morning, and then this happened.  It was the sight that met me when I returned home from a meeting yesterday evening.  As you can plainly see, it is a box of freshly picked green beans.  I want to state the obvious as want you to be sure and know that I consider it a BIG box of freshly picked green beans.

You may be getting near to the point of wishing I wouldn't even mention green beans.  You know how I feel and that I thought I'd escaped the possibility of canning when Mr. announced that ice had gotten them and the garden was dead.   He had told me that he could pick a few and would be bringing them in sometime.  I'd expected a FEW.   This, in my estimation, is far more than a few.

I hate to admit how I felt when I saw this box sitting on my kitchen floor.  My mind grasped at one last straw... the little jiggly thing for the pressure cooker that Mr. still hasn't found.  No jiggly thing, no canning.   However, he announced that he was going to really have to get serious and look for that jiggly thing.  I have a strong suspicion that I'm doomed.  Really.  

Mr. was so proud of this love offering.  Oh, I know it isn't a love offering to me.  It's a love of all the labor he has done and a kind of just reward thing. It's a pride and fuzzy warm feeling that he gets from seeing all that fruit of his labor.  I can relate to that.  Even picking them had to be tedious.  I can imagine tedious.  My wifely duty was to be awed and appropriately elated.  I tried.  Really.

My blog is about finding humor along the way.  Life isn't always humorous.  It is what it is, and sometimes it is difficult to find a little humor, especially when subjects get serious.  This, however, is one of those times that laughing about what is going on may help me to escape with a shred of my current sanity.  I'm sure I'll look back on this little adventure with some kind of smile.  I hope, if Mr. finds that jiggly thing, that I can take a little bit of pride in the fact that we managed to can a few vegetables.  At any rate,  I imagine I'm in for another little adventure.   Tah Dah

No comments: