Thursday, October 14, 2010

Green Bean Devotional

I've been searching for a devotional to give at our retired teachers' meeting today.  I normally am prepared and ready to go, but I just hadn't  found the thing in my mind that seems right for today.  I've been all over the Internet looking.  I finally threw up my hands and mentioned to God that I was going to need a little help here and would just push back from the Internet and packaged devotionals to ask if He had any plan for me.

I was trying to get around and get dressed and letting my mind be open to His ideas.  Then it hit me: My green bean struggle.

I thought about that huge box of beans still sitting in my kitchen floor.  I cooked a big pot of them last night, and you can hardly tell that I even took any out.  The bean box seems as big as ever.  Also, Mr. announced last night that he had found the little jiggly thing for the pressure cooker.  I have to tell you that I had a hard time smiling.  I'm conflicted.  I don't want to can, yet I do want to can.  That's conflicted.

I also remember what Mr. said to me about all those beans.  He said that he wanted me to tell him when I want to start on those beans.  He also said that he has done this many times before and would help me with every step all the way though.   Actually, I just smiled at him and considered if our marriage would survive him in the kitchen in my way while I try to can beans.

It hit me this morning that the big box of beans is rather like lots of other things in life.  We are sailing along happily doing our own thing when some big issue is presented to us.  It is something we have to deal with one way or the other.  Usually, we don't like it very much.  Those kind of things don't go away by themselves.  They stay, uninvited and unappreciated.

Then I remembered all of God's promises to us that He will be with us in all our troubles.  He says that He will get us through it, be with us all the way, and He knows what to do about everything.  That's really all there is to say.

Now I'm going to have to revise my perspective on this whole green bean issue.  First, I'm going to have to stop complaining about those beans and the fact that I'm going to have to take action to do something about them.  I'm going to have to trust that Mr. can help get me through this and that the outcome will be pleasing.  I'm going to have to look at the end as a goal and not the middle as a hurdle.  I will not speak any more negative words into the situation, but trust that God will be with me in all this.  He has already given me a bit of perspective and adjusted the idea of this little issue of green beans.  I think it will work.
Tah Dah

No comments: