Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Pie and Hearts

It may not be the most beautiful pie on the planet, but it has two things in its favor: It's made with apples from the ranch, and I made it with my own two little hands.  Both gain points in my favor.  The only thing that would make it better would be a homemade crust.  Personally, I think Pillsbury and I did fine together. It's Mr. that is all about homemade crust, and I think he can forgive a little by just getting the pie.

I actually made two of these this past week.  The first one brought such delight that I tried another one the following day.  The first pie had to be cut into six pieces.  That pretty much meant the plate was empty.  No leftovers.  Sad.  So, what is a person to do but make another one?  Trust me, that gained me more points with Mr.  Pie makes his heart happy and his taste buds dance with joy.  That's good.

Mr. is also starting to learn that using my oven is a sign of fall.  When the summer heat goes down, the kitchen oven can go on.  That means comfort food.  All those wonderful items I've avoided cooking during the summer are now possibilities.  Roast with all the trimmings!  That's one.  Pie!  That's two.  It doesn't get any better than that.  The smells fill the house.  Even when you begin not to notice them, someone (usually Mr.)  comes in the door and says, 'Boy, the house sure smells good!'  That's praise enough.  It makes the heart sing.  Perhaps I'm just easily amused, but I certainly do like it, and so does Mr.           Tah Dah.

No comments: