Monday, September 27, 2010

Beware of Men With Gardens

I hope you look closely and see the steam rising from the hot water canner.  This simple looking scene was far from simple.  If you have canned, and I'm not sure if I should wish that on you or not, then you will appreciate the hours that happen before you can get to this point in the process.

I don't ever remember my parents telling me to beware of men with gardens.  I do remember my father having a little garden in the country with a friend.   They were both from farming backgrounds and loved to till the soil and bring home the vegetables.  I remember both Mother and Dad getting into the whole canning scene.  I thought it was nice, but looked like work to me.  I knew our eating through the winter wasn't going to depend on what they canned, which perhaps made it more enjoyable to them.  

I have to admit that I had a giant bout of guilt when I thought about all the apples on Mr.'s apple trees that were going to waste.  Sin!!!   I decided to do what I can about that and have canned four pints of apples and five pints of applesauce.  The applesauce was today's adventure.  As I sit here writing, I heard the last of the lids pop, so know they have all sealed.  Yea!

I will own up to the fact that I let Mr. know from the very onset of his canning suggestions that I was NOT going to be pressured into the kitchen.  I had no intention then or now of spending my days chained to the stove.  No, not me.   I realize it sounds like a protest, but I've got to stand my ground for my own sanity.   

I will admit that it is nice to look at the finished product and envision having a nice bit of applesauce one of the days.   It might also make the applesauce from the grocery store more enticing.  I can look at the price and think how long it took me to make mine.  I'll be able to figure out what I made per hour in canning these five, only five, pints.   

I'm a little concerned that Mr. has planted more green beans.  He announced that they should be ready in a couple of weeks.  Oh, dear.  I know what that means.  I do love eating those nice fresh beans, but haven't tried canning them yet.   So far, I've not been able to pressure cook anything as Mr. can't seem to remember to look for that little jiggly thing that goes on the top.   He said he would look for it.  I don't know if I should hope he finds it or not.   All I know is that I sure wish someone had warned me about men with gardens!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back...yes I was a little tired of the choo-choo also.
Linda