Sunday, October 3, 2010

First Chill

There is a definite chill in the air this morning.  It is the thing that I can only dream about during the summer.

In a little act of celebration, I turned the central heat/air off the other day.  It has remained a silent lifeless thing.  I like that.  It isn't spending my money, and I'm quite content with the whole idea of a day without that utility cost.  It really isn't a big deal, just a little thought that makes me happy.

However, Mr. has complained that the house is cold.  I checked the thermostat reading.  He may be right as it is showing 66 degrees in the house.  I call that good sleeping.   A nice crisp temperature and a good warm bed make for a nice night.  That's my thought on the matter.   I did manage to knit my eyebrows together and give Mr. a look when he mentioned the cold house.  I told him that I didn't think ranchers minded the cold.  After all, what was all that ice chopping in the winter talk if they were at all concerned about cold.  He assured me that he had given up early morning ice chopping and elected to do his work later in the day when the sun is out.   I said that I was sorry I'd been so far off in my thinking.

The fact remains that I'm sitting here huddled up in my winter wooly robe.  It isn't really wool, but I thought that little phrase sounded warm and cozy.   I'm having to think warm thoughts as it is, I hate to admit, a tad chilly in the house.  I suppose I'm going to have to consider moving the little switch on the thermostat from off to on.  It is almost like giving up on a goal.  I don't think I'm ready.   I'm going to have to do a little mental preparation before I can do it.  Either that, or I'm going to have to get colder.

I don't think I have much more to say on the subject.  I was just sitting here thinking, you see.  I was feeling that first chill of the fall and thinking how I would have enjoyed just a little taste of this in August.  I guess it is true that we must wait for each thing in season.  Ah, there might be a good thought in that.

No comments: