Friday, April 30, 2010

Savoring The Moment

Sometimes we are justified or redeemed in the strangest way. Yesterday brought a little slice of sunshine that goes with the theory of ‘what goes around, comes around.’


In my blog about Ranch Wife Job, I left out a little fact about my almost getting the truck stuck in the pens. Note, I said ‘almost.’ I’d led the cattle up the road and through the gate into the pen area. My job was to drive on around the barn to get out of the way, I guess. I started around the back side of the barn and ran into a nice bunch of mud. I knew right away that the truck wasn’t going to want to get on through it and around the barn. I sure didn’t want to dig the tires on into the mud, so I stopped where I was and figured I’d wait for Mr. to give me further instructions.


So... Mr. came around the barn, looked at me, and told me to back up. I leaned out the window and told him I was stuck. The conversation went something like this:


Me...(leaning out the window) ‘Honey, I’m stuck.’


Mr: ‘Give it some gas!’


Me: ‘I did give it gas. It’s stuck. I don’t want to bury the tires.’


Mr: ‘Put it in reverse and give it gas!’


Me: ‘Okay... I did that and it still doesn’t go.’


Mr: (yelling... so I’d be sure and hear...) ‘Really give it gas... keep on the gas... gas... gas!!! Keep coming!!!! Gas, more gas!!!


Me: Okay... I hear you! (I gave it gas gas gas and it moved moved moved)


Having completed the back up process, Mr. continued to direct my backing as I really couldn’t see behind me with the feeder blocking the back window and the right side view mirror turned in. He did an excellent job of yelling me around the pen and into the right position to head on out of the pens again. Bless him.



So... yesterday I was cooking some dinner when the phone rang. It was Mr. He told me that he was stuck. ‘Stuck?’, I replied. ‘Yes, stuck’, said Mr. I asked him if he had gotten stuck in my new red truck. He said that he hadn’t been stuck in ten years and he didn’t think much of my new red truck. He said it wouldn't budge even in four wheel drive. I told him that he wasn’t suppose to take my new red truck out to any old muddy pasture. He asked very nicely if I would head out to the pasture and pick him up... again. I’ve done this before.


I savored the idea that was brewing in my mind all the way to the country and the appointed pasture. He had walked to the road so I wouldn’t have to drive in to get him. I pulled off the highway, unlocked the doors, and waited for him to get into my car. I could feel the little dickens in me growing more gleeful. As he opened the door and started to get inside, I smiled and asked him the question: ‘Honey, are you sure you gave it enough gas?’ Yes, indeed, life is good. Tah Dah

No comments: