Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ranch Wife Job

On Tuesday I accepted the challenge from Mr. to help with a little ranching thing. It would be my job to drive the feed truck letting out a little feed as I went so the cattle would follow me out of the pasture and into the pens. There he would do the unspeakable acts of 'working cattle'. Poor babies!

Let me begin with a little review of personal history. Princess here (that's me) has NOT grown up around ranching... other than to say it is part of our local economy. Any hands on activity by me was strictly done at the grocery store. I purchased meat and ate it.... cooking it first, of course. Driving a feed truck was never a life long goal.

I must also review that I've never owned a vehicle with a standard transmission. I rather like the automatic. There is far less work to an automatic transmission. I told Mr. that right off the bat. I told him long ago that IF I were ever to drive a feed truck, it would have to be a red truck with automatic transmission. He was okay with the red part, but scoffed mightily at the idea of owning a feed truck without standard transmission. It just isn't done. I think God did one of his little God Wink things and Mr. ended up with a new used truck.... red... with automatic transmission.

I will admit that I could drive one in my mind. That's to say that I know the principle of brake, clutch, shift, gas, release clutch slowly. Such tap dancing sounds a bit like over kill to me. I prefer the brake/shift/ gas and go method.... no more shifting required.

So... I arrived at my appointed place to begin my first ranch task as Mr.'s wife. I'd warned him ahead of time that he absolutely couldn't yell at me. He smiled. I didn't. I wasn't going to listen to any yelling about my helping ability. So... he yelled just a little before we got started and said that would get it out of his system. Funny man.

Then he led me to his really old beat up feed truck with standard transmission and told me to get in... I would drive THAT one. 'No, No, No!!' I was adamant. He was irritated. I was glad I'd gotten a little kiss before we started this project as figured that would be the last one for awhile. He was irked that I wouldn't try to drive that old standard transmission truck. I held out for the new red one with automatic. He hasn't used it much and didn't think the cattle would follow it. I figured they'd follow anything with the promise of food.

So... he gave in... not too graciously, and took me though the path I was to follow and even drove right into the pens and around the barn to show me exactly what to do. I really did appreciate that as didn't have to guess.

Then he turned my nice red truck with automatic over to me. He showed me how to let out feed and sent me on my way while he headed out on his horse (4-wheeler). I took my position and watched the cattle watching me. I just prayed they would follow. I started slowly out of the pasture with curious eyes watching. I opened the feed chute and heard the rattle. So did all the little critters standing around. They knew that rattle and started coming. I drove VERY slowly and they were coming, coming, coming. Once in awhile I'd let out just a little food, but I was rather stingy with that as know what that costs. I figured as long as they were following, I was good to go.

I had remembered to turn in the outside mirror on the right side of the truck. Those things stick out and I had to drive through some narrow gates into the pens. I sure didn't want to knock off a mirror on the red automatic friend of mine. So.... I watched behind with that one side mirror and drove slowly watching for Mr. to bring up the rear and round up any who chose to wander around.

My whole adventure didn't take very long, and I was through the pens with all the cattle behind me. Then I got to drive out, get out of the truck, and was free to take some pictures while Mr. sorted cows and calves.

I decided not to stick around for the finale. Watching the 'working' wasn't what I had planned for my entertainment. Mr. says that he doesn't really like to do it either, but it has to be done. You know..... a little neutering of the bull and branding of all.... nasty work.

After the calves were separated, some of the cows headed back up the road. I will say that many returned after awhile to check up on their babies in the pens. They stood around and looked really concerned. I wonder if they remember when they were young and went through the branding. Poor dears.

I might just be too tender hearted to be a ranch wife. I'll limit myself to taking pictures of more pleasant things, driving the RED truck, and perhaps acquiring a bumper sticker that says 'Eat More Beef!'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa Rancherwoman...before we know it you will be in chaps and boots prodding cattle through the chute..way to go. Linda